You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 219287  

Print Page



© Mr D.R. Smith LRPS

IoE Number: 219287
Location: OFFICE ROW, WEST OF EAST GATE AT SOHO FOUNDARY, FOUNDRY LANE (off)
  SMETHWICK, SANDWELL, WEST MIDLANDS
Photographer: Mr D.R. Smith LRPS
Date Photographed: 21 August 1999
Date listed: 30 March 1987
Date of last amendment: 30 March 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SANDWELL MBFOUNDRY LANE (off)SP 08 NWSmethwick9/77Office Row, west of30.3.87east gate at

SANDWELL MB FOUNDRY LANE (off) SP 08 NW Smethwick 9/77 Office Row, west of 30.3.87 east gate at Soho Foundry GV II Row of seven houses, now offices. Early to mid-C19. Buff-coloured brick with slate roof. Two storeys. All openings have segmental heads. At the left is a taller block of three bays under a hipped roof. The paired door- ways are in the central bay. The other five former houses are each of two bays. The right hand bay of each has a blind recess on the first floor and a doorway below. The doorway of the right hand house is now blocked. Chimneys to each side of taller block, and to right of third and fourth houses. Soho Foundry is on the site of the foundry established in 1796 by Boulton, Watt and Sons for the manufacture of steam engine parts. These houses stood out- side the gates of the original foundry. The left hand house is said to have been occupied for a few years by William Murdock (1754 - 1839), the company's chief engine erector and a pioneer of gas lighting. (Gale, W K V, Soho Foundry, 1946).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.