© Mr D.R. Smith LRPS
POOLEY GATES, SOHO FOUNDRY, FOUNDRY LANE (off)
SMETHWICK, SANDWELL, WEST MIDLANDS
Mr D.R. Smith LRPS
26 October 1999
30 March 1987
Date of last amendment:
30 March 1987
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SANDWELL MB FOUNDRY LANE (off)
SP 08 NW
9/79 Pooley Gates, Soho Foundry
Gates and gateway. Circa 1840, moved to present position C20. Cast iron.
Lower part in four sections, the two central ones opening as gates. Each
has diagonal lattice infill cast to resemble rope, with a knot at each inter-
section. Each has a central lozenge with a cast mermaid with two tails. Above
is an elaborate superstructure, with a Liver bird above ropework draped with
cloth, flanked by nautical symbols including oars, flags and bugles, ships'
wheels and intersecting dolphins. A C20 plaque is inscribed: "These gates were
cast by Henry Pooley and Son about 1840 for the Sailors' Home, Liverpool. The
Avery and Pooley Foundries were amalgamated in 1931". Soho Foundry is on the
site of the foundry established in 1796 by Boulton, Watt and Sons for the manu-
facture of steam engine parts.