You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 224004  

Print Page



© Mr Geoff W. Ayers

IoE Number: 224004
Location: CHURCH OF ST EDMUND,
  SWANTON NOVERS, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK
Photographer: Mr Geoff W. Ayers
Date Photographed: 17 September 2002
Date listed: 06 March 1959
Date of last amendment: 06 March 1959
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TG 03 SWSWANTON NOVERS3/90Church of St. Edmund.6/3/59II*

TG 03 SW SWANTON NOVERS 3/90 Church of St. Edmund. 6/3/59 II* Parish church. Nave with Norman or pre Norman evidence, C14 Decorated tower, north aisle and chancel largely of 1881 by Edwin Dolby architect of Abingdon. Flint, carstone conglomerate, stone and brick, tiled roofs, tower, nave, south porch, north aisle, chancel. Decorated tower with west "Y" tracery window and niche, belfry stage 2-light Decorated windows, battle- mented parapet, all rebuilt 1960. South porch 1881. Nave south with blocked arched headed Norman door, conglomerate quoins to south east gable. One "Y" tracery 2-light window, one 3-light straight-headed Perpendicular window. Chancel rebuilt 1821 and c.186O, north aisle 1881 Perpendicular style details. Interior 2 bay north aisle, Perpendicular chancel arch. Roofs of 1881, boarded waggon chancel roof. Chancel piscina Perpendicular with ogee head and W monogram in spandrels set in fleuron ring. C15 octagonal nave font with 4 Evangelist symbols and W monogram in crowns of thorns. See Kelly's Directory Norfolk 1916 p.471.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.