You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 233806  

Print Page



© Mr Derek E. Wharton

IoE Number: 233806
Location: THE GOLDEN HAND HOTEL AND COLEMAN BIRD ASSOCIATES SHOP, BURYSTEAD PLACE (south side)
  WELLINGBOROUGH, WELLINGBOROUGH, NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Derek E. Wharton
Date Photographed: 04 May 2001
Date listed: 09 June 1970
Date of last amendment: 12 March 1986
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WELLINGBOROUGHSHEEP STREETSP8967NW(West side)11/145The Golden Hind Hotel, and09/06/70Coleman Bird Associates Shop(Formerly listed as Hind

WELLINGBOROUGH SHEEP STREET SP8967NW (West side) 11/145 The Golden Hind Hotel, and 09/06/70 Coleman Bird Associates Shop (Formerly listed as Hind Hotel) GV II* Hotel and shop. c.1645. Mid C18 and late C19. Squared coursed ironstone with slate, stone slate and plain tile-roofs. Originally courtyard plan. 2 storeys with attic. Main front of 5-window range. Central arched entrance has moulded stone surround with large wooden porch supported on pairs of square Doric columns with turned balustrade above supporting a painted coat of arms and figure of golden hind; all c.1891. Ground floor windows are 2-light stone-mullion windows with leaded lights c.1872. Three 3-light stone mullion Venetian style windows at first floor alternating with 4-light stone mullion and transom windows; all probably C17 with leaded lights. 3 equal gables have 3-light stone mullion Venetian style attic windows. Moulded stone string course above first floor windows. Ashlar parapet to eaves and gables. 2 rainwater heads to either side of porch have date 1741 and similar rainwater to far left and right have date 1769. Brick and stone stacks at ridge. 2-bay, 3-storey extension to left is dated 1902 and of similar style with stone-mullion windows to each floor. The ground floor is now a shop. North range to right of main front, partially reconstructed c,1891, has a l0-bay centre range of 2- and 3-light stone mullion window with leaded lights. 6-light, C17, stone mullion window with transom to gable at far left has similar 3-light attic window above. c.1891 carriage arch with half timber upper storey to right and C17 gable with stone mullion windows to far right. Ashlar gable parapets and kneelers. Rear elevations altered C19 and C20 with section of pitched roof to far left having original plain tiles. The courtyard, reputed to have had open colonnade, is now almost enclosed by C19 extensions. Interior: staircase part C17 has heavy turned balustrade and tall newel finials. First floor rooms to main front have some C18 panelling, probably reset. The Cromwell Room to the first floor of the north range has a C17 carved ceiling beam, moulded plaster ceiling and panelled walls, that to the right of the fireplace has a secret catch giving access to a vestibule beyond; the various artefacts in this room may be reset. (History of Wellingborough: J. and M. Palmer).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.