You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 233936  

Print Page



© Mr Alistair F Nisbet

IoE Number: 233936
Location: AYNHO PARK HOUSE, ROUND TOWN (south side)
  AYNHO, SOUTH NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Alistair F Nisbet
Date Photographed: 14 July 2001
Date listed: 11 September 1953
Date of last amendment: 18 March 1985
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SP5133AYNHOROUND TOWN(South side)12/37Aynhoe Park11/09/53(Formerly listed as Aynho ParkHouse)

SP5133 AYNHO ROUND TOWN (South side) 12/37 Aynhoe Park 11/09/53 (Formerly listed as Aynho Park House) GV I Country house now flats. Early C17. Damaged by fire 1645. Remodelled for the Cartwright family c.1665 by Edward Marshall; 1707-14, probably by Thomas Archer; and in 1800-5 by Sir John Soane. Main block, front rendered brick and limestone ashlar dressings. Rear and wings, limestone ashlar. U-plan with stables and offices at right angles to central block and linked to it by archways. North front of main block remodelled 1707-14 and 1800-5. 3 storeys; 11 bays, the 5 centre bays project under a pediment. Central doorway with rusticated pilaster and large triple keystone breaking into the entablature. C20 door. 15-pane sash windows with straight keystoned heads and moulded frames, except those in 5 centre bays of first floor, which have pediments. Balustraded parapet and pediment added by Soane. Former stables on east side of courtyard, are of 1707-14 probably by Archer. 2 storeys; 11 bays with pedimented 5 bay centre defined by chamfered quoins. Central doorway (now window) has arched head, diagonally set pilasters and concave entablature broken by a large keystone. 32-pane sash windows on ground floor and in 5 central bays on first floor, 12-pane sash windows in outer bays of first floor. Blind lunette in pediment. Former service wing on west side courtyard is similar. Both wings are linked to central block by triumphal arches, 1800-5 by Soane. One storey and attic, 3 bays with Tuscan half columns flanking the arch and arched niches in outer bays. Attic with incised decoration. Centre arch of the western archway is glazed and formed housekeeper's room. The south front was main entrance in C17 and is shown in a drawing of 1683 by James Fish. Some details of this date remain. It was remodelled 1707-14. 3 storeys; 11 bays, the 5 central bays defined by chamfered quoins and bracketed pediment. Central doorway (now window) has Tuscan half columns and entablature with double keystone. Arched central window on first floor flanked by Corinthian columns. Above it is blank stone plaque and pediment framed by heads and swags of fruit. Other windows are 15-pane sash with straight keystoned heads, except in 5 centre bays on ground and first floor which have pediments. Flanking wings containing library to left and orangery to right added 1707-14 and heightened 1800-5. Each 2 storeys; 7 bays with arched sash windows on ground floor divided by coupled pilasters, the capitals with inward turning volutes. First- floor window frames have incised Grecian decoration by Soane. 2-bay pediment on west side library by Soane. Interior: Combines work by Archer and Soane. Entrance hall has early C18 screen of 2 pairs of fluted Doric columns on each side and C20 alabaster fireplace. East staircase early C18, open well, with 3 balusters to each tread, twisted, fluted and twisted. The newel posts are fluted Corinthian columns and the tread ends carved with scrolls. Walls have 4 pairs of unfluted Ionic columns added by Soane who planned a more thorough re-modelling of the staircase. West staircase early C19 by Soane, open well with glazed dome and iron balustrade. Garden Hall in centre of south front remodelled by Soane with shallow apsidal ends and groin vault. Early C19 fire- place of grey and white marble with oval figure reliefs linked by swags. French Drawing Room to east has mid C19 rococo revival fireplace in red marble with ormolu decoration. The dining room to the west has at one end 2 unfluted Ionic columns screening a serving alcove with apsidal ends, each with an early C19 mahogany buffet. The library has an early C19 cornice of small Gothic fans and a marble fireplace in the style of Soane with fluted sides and frieze. The "Cold Bathroom" at the east end of main block on ground floor, by Soane (re-modelled 1952) has a Greek cross plan with a groin vault on swelling Tuscan columns. Interior of upper floors not inspected. Park, reputedly landscaped by Capability Brown. (H. Colvin, Biographical Dictionary of English Architects, 1978 edition, pp.69, 539 and 770; G. Nares, Aynhoe Park; Country Life 2nd, 9th and 16th July 1953, pp.42, 122, 202).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.