You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 235598  

Print Page



© Mr Alastair Cochrane ARPS

IoE Number: 235598
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST MICHAEL, BAILIFFGATE (north side)
  ALNWICK, ALNWICK, NORTHUMBERLAND
Photographer: Mr Alastair Cochrane ARPS
Date Photographed: 23 August 1999
Date listed: 25 August 1977
Date of last amendment: 20 February 1952
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BAILIFFGATE 1. (North Side) 5330 Church of St Mary and St Michael NU 1813 NW 3/2 II 2. Unusally large aisled church for Northumberland. Of the long single vessel apsed Norman church only fragments remain, some built into chancel arch. Present church dates largely from circa 1464 (Chartere of Henry VI) with various restorations:- by Vincent Shepherd in 1782 (when it was given a fan-vaulted plaster ceiling etc), 1818 by towns people and circa 1863 by Salvin (who restored an overall Perpendicular feeling). In plan a nave with a wide aisles of 5 bays and a chancel with chapels of 3 bays. Tower at south-west end. In elevation a 3 stage embattled C15 tower with angle buttresses having 12 set offs, and a long south aisle, its windows divided by buttresses and with unusual octagonal stair turret at south-east end. A C15 porch next to the tower, an unassuming priest's door into the south chapel. A small clerestory with paired lights not aligned with internal arcades. Large perpendicular tracery in windows. Interior: North arcade has hexagonal piers with much moulded caps and paired fluting; south arcade plain octagonal piers and carved corbel heads at rear; arcades of chancel higher and more delicate having octagonal piers containing 8 keeled shafts within cusped-head panels and angels at the arcade springing level.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.