© Mr David Lumley
ELSDON, ALNWICK, NORTHUMBERLAND
Mr David Lumley
16 May 2002
21 October 1953
Date of last amendment:
29 May 1987
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
21.10.53 formerly listed
as Elsdon Rectory
Towerhouse. Recorded as a 'Vicar's Pele' in 1415 but probably rebuilt C16.
Lower additions to west and north early C19 by Archdeacon Singleton; the
windows remodelled c.1840.
South side: originally 4 storeys but redivided internally to make 3 storeys.
C19 door on ground floor. On 1st floor 2 C19 mullion-and-transom cross windows
break through an earlier string course. 2 similar windows on 2nd floor. High
embattled parapet, the high centre part C18 with the shield of the Umfravilles.
Behind the parapet a steeply-pitched stone-slate roof with raised coping and
stone end stacks.
Right return (east side) has large early C19 segment-headed mullion-and-transom
window on ground floor. Above a chamfered recess with a shield bearing five
fusilles, the early arms of the Percys. Above 3 blocked slit windows. In the
parapet the Percy crest.
North side has castellated porch and single-storey, lean-to entrance hall of
early C19. Above are 3 C18 lancets lighting the staircase.
Above the original entrance a short stretch of machicolation on 4 large corbels.
In the parapet the C18 shield of the Howards of Overacre.
Attached to right 2-storey, 2-bay early C19 additions with 3- and 4-light
mullioned windows. 4-light bay window with stone pent roof on right. Irregular
C18 and early C19 additions to rear.
Interior: Tower walls 8 ft. thick. C16 hollow-chamfered round-headed doorway
on ground floor. In south-east corner a short straight mural stair leads to a
fine ashlar newel stair. Tunnel-vaulted ground floor given early C19 plaster
rib vault; Gothick fireplace and door. On 1st floor, original entrance from
stair has chamfered 4-centred arch. On 1st floor large corbels to support
floor above. C18 or early C19 friezes in entrance hall and study have Percy,
Lucy and Howard shields. Frieze of trefoiled hanging arches on 2nd floor.
Early C19 roof timbers.
In the C19 addition a staircase with slender turned balusters.
G.N. Taylor: The Story of Elsdon: Frank Graham: Newcastle.
J. Hodgson: History of Northumberland: Newcastle.