© Mr Gordon Dixon
BROCKLEY HALL FARMHOUSE,
HESLEYHURST, ALNWICK, NORTHUMBERLAND
Mr Gordon Dixon
20 October 2002
29 May 1987
Date of last amendment:
29 May 1987
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
HESLEYHURST BROCKLEY HALL
NZ 09 NE
8/39 Brockley Hall
Farmhouse. Probably originally a bastle house. C16 (recorded in 1579);
restored and refronted 1666 by Thomas Wharton. Restored again 1858.
Random rubble, especially large to rear. Ashlar dressings and Welsh slate
roof. One room deep, three rooms long. Irregular openings. 2 storeys, 4
On ground floor 5 bays. Doorway in 4th bay has roll-moulded Tudor-arched
surround with fine hollow-chamfered outer order which is stepped above the
arch. Lintel, dated 1666 has central shield bearing an 'M' and surrounded
by foliage; flanking letters T W for Thomas Wharton; hoodmould with scrolled
stops. Above a square panel inscribed R . In the 2nd bay a C19 doorway
with chamfered alternating-block surround. C19 2-light double-chamfered
mullioned windows. Gabled roof with flat coping and tall corniced end and
ridge stacks of 2 conjoined shafts.
Single-storey C19 addition on left has boarded and battened door and small
Interior: rear wall, right end wall and internal cross wall are c.40 inches
thick. This represents the C16 house. Another wall c.40 inches thick
continues left of this on ground floor and suggests a single-storey addition
to the original house. Old oak beams.