You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 236463  

Print Page



© Mr Kenneth Robinson

IoE Number: 236463
Location: SACRED HEART CONVENT,
  EDLINGHAM, ALNWICK, NORTHUMBERLAND
Photographer: Mr Kenneth Robinson
Date Photographed: 08 September 2004
Date listed: 31 December 1969
Date of last amendment: 31 December 1969
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

EDLINGHAMLEMMINGTON HALLNU 11 SW9/122Lemmington Hall31.12.69(Sacred HeartConvent)

EDLINGHAM LEMMINGTON HALL NU 11 SW 9/122 Lemmington Hall 31.12.69 (Sacred Heart Convent) GV II* Country house, c.1750 for Nicholas Fenwick, incorporating C15 towerhouse of Beadnell family; late C18 alterations by William Newton; roofless ruin in late C19, restored 1913 for Sir Stephen Aitchison; converted to convent 1947. House tooled ashlar, tower squared stone; graduated Lakeland slate roof. Plan: ranges around small court, open to north-east; L-plan tower incorporated into north-east end of south-east range. South-east elevation 2 storeys, 9 bays. Centre bay projects and 2 end bays on either side are set back. High plinth to ground floor sill band. 5 semicircular steps to panelled double door with sidelights; stone cornice and radial fanlight above in triple-keyed archivolt within broken pediment. Group of 3 windows above, the outer ones narrower. Ground-floor windows 12-pane sashes, upper windows 6-pane sashes, all in architraves, those on ground floor with swell friezes and cornices, and with pediments except in set-back outer sections. Moulded and modillioned eaves cornice and central pediment. Parapet behind, carried over pediment, and with urn finials at angles. 2 corniced stacks, irregularly placed. On left return projecting 3-bay pedimented wing of 1913 in similar style. Right return shows large stepped buttress of 1913 with exposed masonry of C15 tower house to right; C20 fenestration (utilising imported medieval material) and embattled parapet. Imposing early C20 round-arched entrance and Venetian window on rear wing set back to right. Right return of tower shows early C20 traceried lst-floor windows. Interior: Internal features of house c.1913 re-using stair balustrades, doors and architraves, window seats etc. from London, mainly from Camelford House, Park Lane. Other woodwork, including panelling in chapel, from Chateau at Bar-le-duc, France. Tower retains barrel-vaulted basement and newel stair in south turret; 1st floor chamber, now chapel, has re-set roll-moulded C16 fireplace behind reredos and mural chamber with oubliette. C20 glazed front porch, single-storey extension to south-west, and later north-west extension linking to outbuildings are not of interest.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.