You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 236579  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Oakley Clarke ARPS

IoE Number: 236579
Location: HEDGELEY HALL WITH SCREEN WALL TO SOUTH WEST,
  HEDGELEY, ALNWICK, NORTHUMBERLAND
Photographer: Mr Peter Oakley Clarke ARPS
Date Photographed: 25 August 2000
Date listed: 31 December 1969
Date of last amendment: 31 December 1969
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

HEDGELEYHEDGELEYNU 01 NE4/234Hedgeley Hall,with screen wall31.12.69to south-west

HEDGELEY HEDGELEY NU 01 NE 4/234 Hedgeley Hall, with screen wall 31.12.69 to south-west GV II Country House. South range is late C18 remodelling of older fabric, with early C19 wings to rear remodelled and incorporated in major extension of c.1910-14 by George Reavell of Alnwick, for Colonel Henry Carr-Ellison. C18/19 parts squared stone, early C20 parts squared and tooled stone except for rock-faced north-east wing; ashlar dressings. Scottish slate roofs except for C20 grey tiles on west part of early C20 extension. Late C18 house in Gothick style, 1914 parts Tudor. West front in 3 sections. 2 storeys. Older 3-bay right part has central 5-window bow with traceried 2-light windows with Gothick glazing bars; centre ones are purple slate panels; linked hoodmoulds. Tall central parapet has roundel flanked by cruciform loops. Varied openings in flanking bays. Buttressed screen wall steps down to right. All walls have embattled parapets. 3-bay centre section has projecting gabled left bay with 2-storey canted bay window; 3- and 4-light mullioned and transomed windows holding leaded casements; moulded parapets. Tall stepped-and-corniced stacks with panelled shafts to ridge and right end. North-west wing, to left, above projecting basement of c.1950; 2 gabled bays; scattered small windows, and armorial panel at base of corbelled-out stack. South front: 2 storeys + attic, 3 + 2 bays. Left part has central C20 glazed double doors, 12-pane sash windows and C19 attic dormer on corbels, with quatrefoil above casement; right part has French windows in older openings and C20 balcony above. Roll mouldings around openings and to right corner of range. Crowstepped right gable end; stepped-and-corniced ridge and right end stacks. East (entrance) front, 5 gabled bays: projecting 2-storey porch with Tudor- arched doorway; 2- and 3-light windows, some transomed. 3-bay north-east wing to right. Interior: Late C18 plaster ceilings in west room of south range and bedroom above, the latter having a contemporary panelled fireplace. Other parts all 1910-1914, with open-well stair and rich plaster ceilings; doors and fireplaces brought from Dunston Hill (Gateshead) and Hebburn Hall.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.