© Mr Mike Caddis
HEDGELEY, ALNWICK, NORTHUMBERLAND
Mr Mike Caddis
03 October 2006
25 August 1987
Date of last amendment:
25 August 1987
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
NU 01 SE
8/245 Shawdon Hall
Country House. Dated 1779 on rainwater heads, possibly by William Newton, for
William Hargrave. Rear wing truncated 1970. Main block tooled ashlar with
Lakeland slate roof; rear wing squared stone with Welsh slate roof.
South front 2 storeys, 2 + 3 + 2 bays: plinth, sill and 1st floor bands,
dentil eaves cornice. 3-bay centre has giant pilasters with palmette capitals,
fluted frieze with paterae, and pediment enclosing 1817 wood carving of Pawson
arms and mantling. 6 steps up to central Venetian doorway with half-glazed
door and plain fanlight, fluted frieze and archivolt, under round arch.
Plate-glass sash windows. Hipped roof with 2 stepped-and-corniced ridge stacks.
5-bay left return shows similar detail; central open pediment, with floating
cornice over 1st floor window beneath. Plainer 4-bay right return has similar
fenestration in right bays but only 1st floor blind windows on left; 5-bay
right rear wing with central 6-panel door and latticed overlight in plain
porch; 4-pane sash windows. Rear elevation shows 20-pane sash stair window
with radial head; rear (west) elevation of wing shows projecting 3-bay section
Interior: Entrance hall has mahogany doors with carved fielded panels; fluted
dentil frieze and overdoors. Dining room has carved black-and-white marble
fireplace from Close House, Wylam, dado rail, long enriched panels; fluted
frieze with paterae, and matching overdoors. Sitting room has white marble
fireplace,with coloured inlaid medallions, and palmette frieze. Lower and
upper stair halls both have arches with fluted archivolts on imposts with
paterae; band of fluting at landing level, panelling, anthemion top cornice.
Open-well stair with stick balusters, moulded wreathed and ramped handrail and
curtail step. Bedrooms have dado rails and moulded cornices. Doorway to
servants' stair has fluted archivolt and radial overlight. One lavatory of
c.1880; panelled cistern with glazed floral tiles.
C. Hussey, 'Shawdon Hall, Northumberland', Country Life Mar. 5 1959, 460-463.