You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 236853  

Print Page

© Mr Alan Bradley LRPS

IoE Number: 236853
Photographer: Mr Alan Bradley LRPS
Date Photographed: 13 July 2005
Date listed: 10 January 1953
Date of last amendment: 10 January 1953
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.


NEWTON-ON-THE-MOOR NEWTON HALL NU 10 SE 6/184 Newton Hall 10/1/53 GV II Country house. 1772 for Samuel Cook, possibly incorporating earlier farmhouse in north wing. Enlarged and remodelled 1864 by S.F. Widdrington to his own designs; main block south bay window raised to 2 storeys, conservatory and porch added, north-west wing rebuilt; plasterwork by Giovanni Montirolli. Main block tooled ashlar, north-east wing smooth ashlar, other parts squared stone; north wing with rendering scored to imitate coursed stone. Graduated Lakeland slate roofs except for Welsh slates on north and north-east wings. Irregular plan. South elevation: Main block 2 storeys, 7 narrow bays. Plinth, band broken by ground floor windows, moulded eaves cornice. Bays 2 and 3 project, with balustraded parapet; ground floor right is enclosed by 2-bay conservatory with glazed front wall on stone plinth between square piers with moulded caps and finials. Plain sash windows, taller on ground floor, in architraves with projecting bracketed sills. Hipped roof with 3 stepped-and-corniced ridge stacks. Set back to right is end of north-east wing with 12- and 6-pane sashes in architraves. Set further back to left is 4-bay north-west wing with plain sashes in chamfered surrounds. East (entrance) front: Central 3-bay north-east wing with pent-roofed passage below tall 12-pane and 6-pane sashes,all in architraves. Left end porch with 6-panel door in architrave under carved frieze and modillioned pediment enclosing Widdrington arms and motto. Set back to left is similar 4-bay return of main block. Set back to right is lower north wing of 2 + 1 storeys, with varied fenestration. West elevation: Square ground floor bay window with balustraded parapet; to left a Venetian stair window with radial head. Interior: Conservatory shows Italian niches, panels and fountain set in walls, and floor of marble tesserae. Entrance hall has half-glazed double doors in surround with attached columns and cornice; full-size murals of London Bridge and Venice, by S.F. Widdrington. Drawing Room has C18 carved marble fireplace, enriched cornice and elaborate ceiling in mid-C18 style. Library shows similar ceiling and marble fireplace holding early C19 wrought- iron grate with radial convector hearth. Similar ceiling and fireplace in Dining Room. Stair hall has Venice mural and 1918 Venetian screen to New Hall; C18 open-string stair has turned balusters with square knops and ramped moulded handrail. C18 fielded-panel doors in corniced surrounds throughout. H. Montgomery-Massingberd, 'The Widdringtons' place in history', The Field Oct. 11 1986.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.