© Mr Alan Bradley LRPS
BUILDINGS AND WALLS AROUND STABLE YARD TO NORTH OF THE HALL, NEWTON HALL
NEWTON ON THE MOOR AND SWARLAND, ALNWICK, NORTHUMBERLAND
Mr Alan Bradley LRPS
13 July 2005
15 September 1988
Date of last amendment:
15 September 1988
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
6/185 NEWTON-ON-THE-MOOR NEWTON HALL
NU 10 SE
6/185 Buildings and
stable yard, to
north of the Hall
Ranges and walls around stableyard, late C18 altered later C19. Coach-house
squared tooled stone, other parts rubble; cut dressings; Welsh slate roofs
with brick stack to coach-house. Ranges around rectangular yard closed by
wall with central gateway on east; south range extends beyond yard to form
gateway into rear yard of Hall.
North range is coach-house: 2 storeys, 5 irregular bays. On right a pair of
3-centred arches now holding small-paned casement windows, on left a 12-pane
casement flanked by part-blocked doorways now holding sash windows; Yorkshire
sashes above. Eaves band. Hipped roof with ridge stack. Single-storey west
range shows three casements and a 3-centred carriage arch. 2-storey south
range: at left end gateway with boarded double doors under flat 4-centred
arch; panel above with Widdrington arms and clock in architrave set in a
gablet with ball finial, flanked by scrolled brackets; open timber bellcote,
with pyramidal roof and weathervane, above. Single-storey bay at far left is
end of north wing of Hall (q.v.). Wall on east of yard has flat coping and
gateway with square piers carrying tall vase finials.
Note: The clock above the gateway was originally made for Princess Amelia,
second daughter of George II, by William Smith of Moorfields in 1763.