© Mr Paul Marshall
ILDERTON, BERWICK UPON TWEED, NORTHUMBERLAND
Mr Paul Marshall
13 November 2004
14 May 1986
Date of last amendment:
14 May 1986
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
NU 02 SW ILDERTON ILDERTON
13/70 Ilderton Hall
House. 1733, probably with earlier core. Altered and extended to rear
early C19. Ashlar facade, rendered with ashlar dressings elsewhere. Welsh
slate roof. Double pile plan. 2 storeys, 6 bays.
Chamfered plinth. 6-panelled door, in 4th bay, with Gothick overlight and
raised surround. 12-pane sash windows in raised surrounds. First floor band.
Surround of 1st-floor third window extends down to frame shield of Ilderton
family and inscription MT 1733. Band above.
Gabled roof with cyma-moulded coping and kneelers. One ashlar corniced stack
on left gable and 2 rendered stacks.
Rear facade has angle pilaster strips and mainly 16-pane sashes.
Interior: Early-mid C18 staircase with broad moulded handrail, turned balusters
and panelled dado. This is in the 3rd bay. Entrance hall with early C18
fireplace; architrave surround with contemporary grate, moulded cornice and
panelled overmantel. 2- and 6-panelled doors.
2 large fireplaces to rear of house suggest possible former L-plan house made
into double-pile plan in early C19.