You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 237893  

Print Page



© Mr Don Brownlow

IoE Number: 237893
Location: ROTUNDA AT HAGGERSTON CASTLE,
  ANCROFT, BERWICK UPON TWEED, NORTHUMBERLAND
Photographer: Mr Don Brownlow
Date Photographed: 24 March 2005
Date listed: 22 December 1969
Date of last amendment: 22 December 1969
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ANCROFTHAGGERSTONNU 04 SW10/40Rotunda at22/12/69Haggerston Castle

ANCROFT HAGGERSTON NU 04 SW 10/40 Rotunda at 22/12/69 Haggerston Castle GV II Rotunda (along with the Tower, q.v.) forms the remains of a house rebuilt 1893-7 by R. Norman Shaw for Thomas Leyland. The rest of the house was demolished in 1933. Ashlar, roof not visible. Baroque style. One tall storey. Pedimented doorway with Gibbs surround and pulvinated frieze. Large 9-pane fixed windows with projecting moulded sills and large triple keystones. Above each window an oculus in architrave. Between each bay bold pilasters with banded rustication. Interior is also faced in ashlar and rusticated throughout. Attached giant Tuscan columns support segmental arches with coffered soffits. Shallow domed ceiling. R. Norman Shaw : Andrew Saint : 1976.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.