© Mr Gordon Dixon
ESHOTT HALL (SOUTHERN BLOCK),
THIRSTON, CASTLE MORPETH, NORTHUMBERLAND
Mr Gordon Dixon
11 April 2003
18 December 1985
Date of last amendment:
18 December 1985
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
NZ 29 NW
5/61 Eshott Hall
Country House. c.1660 perhaps by Robert Trollope, for William Carr, as south
wing to an earlier house. Remodelled c.1850 and further alterations 1881.
The earlier house was demolished 1958-65. Squared stone with ashlar dressings;
slate roofs. Entrance (south) front 2 storeys, 5 bays, symmetrical. Chamfered
plinth, rusticated quoins. Central enclosed Roman Ionic porch has panelled
double doors with overlight in architrave, a 4-pane sash on each return, reeded
frieze and balustraded parapet. 4-pane sash windows in architraves with scrolled
swan-neck pediments differing in details; dressings re-tooled, and central 1st
floor window inserted, in C19. Hipped roof, 2 stepped and corniced ridge stacks.
Left return 3+2 narrower bays, similar windows with triangular pediments, blind
at right. At left a 3-storey C19 flat-roofed tower with similar fenestration
and balustrade. Right return 3 bays with similar fenestration.
Interior; Most fittings are of mid-C19, including open-well stair with
curtail step, carved tread ends, fluted balusters and moulded and wreathed
handrail. Drawing room has fine plaster ceiling in mid-C18 style, by the
Italian stuccatori working c.1850 at Alnwick Castle.