You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 238613  

Print Page



© Mrs J.H. Black ARPS

IoE Number: 238613
Location: CLOSE HOUSE,
  HEDDON ON THE WALL, CASTLE MORPETH, NORTHUMBERLAND
Photographer: Mrs J.H. Black ARPS
Date Photographed: 21 August 1999
Date listed: 27 August 1969
Date of last amendment: 27 August 1969
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

HEDDON-ON-THE-WALLCLOSE HOUSENZ 16 NW20/128Close House27.8.69

HEDDON-ON-THE-WALL CLOSE HOUSE NZ 16 NW 20/128 Close House 27.8.69 GV II* Country house. 1779 for Calverly and Margaret Bewick. Ashlar with Lakeland slate roof. Classical style. Three storeys, 5 bays with slightly-projecting pedimented 3-bay centre. 2-leaf door in stone Ionic doorcase with attached columns and open pediment. Ground and lst floor sill bands and broader 1st floor band. Renewed sashes in architraves on ground floor. On 1st floor 12- pane sashes in architraves with pulvinated friezes and cornices; pediment over centre window. Square 6-pane sashes in architraves on 2nd floor. Modillion cornice. Hipped roof with banded ridge stacks. 5-bay returns. On right return large single-storey bow window dated 1800 on rainwater head. 2-storey, 4-bay service wing to rear has 2 bays with 12-pane sashes and 2 bays with Venetian windows on ground floor and tripartite windows above. Interior: Rococo Room, with elaborate mid C19 Rococo plasterwork including relief panels of musical instruments and cherubs and sopraporte oval panels of classical scenes; elaborate marble fireplace with festoons, angle scrolls, and crest in centre inscribed CMB for Calverley and Mary Bewick. Gold Room has possibly re-used earlier C18 fireplace with bolection-moulded surround; enriched cornice and flanking full-height fluted Ionic pilasters; also an Adam-style plaster ceiling of c.1800. Open-well cantilevered stair with iron stick balusters and ramped handrail. On second floor, the former nursery floor, the stairwell is screened by two tiers of turned balusters with square knops.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.