You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 238671  

Print Page



© Mr John Hogg

IoE Number: 238671
Location: MATFEN HALL,
  MATFEN, CASTLE MORPETH, NORTHUMBERLAND
Photographer: Mr John Hogg
Date Photographed: 20 July 2006
Date listed: 27 August 1952
Date of last amendment: 27 August 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

MATFENMATFENNZ 07 SW14/187Matfen Hall

MATFEN MATFEN NZ 07 SW 14/187 Matfen Hall 27.8.52 GV II* Country house. 1828-30 by Rickman, completed by Sir Edward Blackett for himself. Ashlar with Lakeland slate roof. Jacobethan style externally. Symmetrical main block with large irregular ranges around 2 courtyards on the west side. South front: Main block, 2 storeys plus attics; 5 bays with each bay breaking forward from wall face. Centre and outer bays have 2-storey canted bay windows; all windows are mullioned-and-transomed with roll-moulded surrounds, and each bay has parapet with pierced diamond-shaped panels; shaped gables over outer bays. Similar detail to 3-bay section recessed on left. Gabled roof with many tall, octagonal corniced stacks. Entrance front (North): Main block 3 storeys, 7 bays. Projecting central porch tower; Tudor-arched doorway with Blackett shield and motto above and an elaborate canted oriel window on 1st floor. Projecting on right a symmetrical 6-bay service wing with 3-storey outer bays and centre with mullion-and-transom crosses on ground floor and gabled half-dormers above. Beyond this the stable court with 4 Tudor-arched carriage entries. Interior: very large, full-height Gothic hall with 2 tiers of pointed arches along south side, lst-floor windows with Geometric tracery on north and east sides and a huge Geometric window with stained glass,on west side; Gothic oak staircase with castellated newels; hammer-beam roof. Drawing room has white marble fireplace by Chantrey with female figures in the jambs and shells in the frieze. Former library has early C17 fireplace with terms, and overmantel with strapwork and demi-figures. In west wing a late C17 staircase with twisted balusters; also a very slender cantilevered spiral stair with sweeping smooth soffit. Now used as a Cheshire Home.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.