You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 239273  

Print Page



© Mr John Spence

IoE Number: 239273
Location: RIDLEY HALL,
  BARDON MILL, TYNEDALE, NORTHUMBERLAND
Photographer: Mr John Spence
Date Photographed: 24 April 2007
Date listed: 10 June 1952
Date of last amendment: 10 June 1952
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

NY 76 SEBARDON MILLRIDLEYRidley Hall(Previously listed under8/23the Civil Parish of Ridley)

NY 76 SE BARDON MILL RIDLEY Ridley Hall (Previously listed under 8/23 the Civil Parish of Ridley) 10/6/52 II Country House. Stable wing 1743, main block 1891 by Horatio Adamson, with datestones on porch and tower. 1743 wing tooled and margined stone with hipped slate roof. 1891 block ashlar with steeply-pitched slate roofs. 1891 building of irregular plan with large octagonal tower at the south-west corner. Free Neo- Tudor style. South (garden) front in 3 main sections: tall 3-storey battlemented tower, with stair turret, at left; lower 3-gabled 3-bay centre; 2-storey set- back rear wing. Stone mullioned-and-transomed windows, 2 battlemented 2-storey canted bays. Copings, finials and kneelers to gables. North (entrance) front of 5 irregular bays has 2-storey projecting porch with Tudor-arched entrance and octagonal extruded stair turret. Similar fenestration and roof treatment. Several stacks with tall conjoined octagonal shafts. Various heraldic panels with Bowes Lyon crest. Former stable wing to west much altered but retains north front of 2 storeys, 1:2:3 bays. 1st floor band, modillion cornice to left bay and to open pedimented gable of slightly projecting 2-bay section,with rusticated quoins and 2 carriage arches with rustication below moulded imposts and to archivolts. Quoins also rusticated. Arches now blocked. 12-pane sashes in architraves, some altered, and keyed oculus in tympanum. 2 stepped and corniced ashlar ridge stacks. Interior: main block has impressive entrance hall with ornate stair, gallery and coffered ceiling. A number of fittings and some panelling have been brought from elsewhere, including a c16 fireplace from Mottisfont Abbey in Hampshire.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.