© Mr Erik Borg
WYLAM STATION AND STATION-MASTER'S HOUSE, STATION ROAD
WYLAM, TYNEDALE, NORTHUMBERLAND
Mr Erik Borg
30 June 2001
17 February 1972
Date of last amendment:
17 February 1972
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
NZ 16 SW WYLAM STATION ROAD
19/157 Wylam Station and
17/2/72 Station-Master's House
Station and station-master's house. 1835. Ashlar with Welsh slate roof.
Single-storey station on left has recessed veranda in centre with roof supported
on 2 cast-iron Tuscan columns. Ticket office on right has original ticket
window with segmental arch and decorative iron grille; also 2 large windows and
a door in chamfered alternating-block surrounds, now boarded up. Waiting room
partly filling left side of veranda has 2 windows in similar surrounds also
boarded up and two 16-pane sashes to rear. Hipped roof with central corniced
Station-master's house attached to right in Tudor style. 2 storeys, 3 bays with
central doorway in double-chamfered surround. 2-light windows in similar
surrounds, those on ground floor under hoodmoulds. 1st floor centre window is
in gabled oriel on rounded wood corbels. Gutter is supported on rounded stone
corbels. Gabled roof with rendered brick end stacks on stone corniced bases,
supported on stone corbels.
One of the earliest stations in the world still in passenger use. Included
mainly for historical value.