© Mr Kenneth Robinson
CORBRIDGE, TYNEDALE, NORTHUMBERLAND
Mr Kenneth Robinson
23 April 2002
15 April 1969
Date of last amendment:
15 April 1969
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
CORBRIDGE DILSTON HALL
NY 96 SE
9/129 Dilston Castle
Towerhouse, probably built by Sir William Claxton in early C15, enlarged later
C15, and C16 by Radcliffes (later Earls of Derwentwater); remodelled c.1620 as
part of Dilston Hall, altered when Hall was rebuilt 1710-15. Squared stone
with dressings; roofless. L-plan.
East elevation in 3 parts. Centre 3 storeys, 1 wide bay. 2 small round-headed
lights on ground floor, each with circular gunloop beneath. 1st floor has large
C18 window with raised stone surround , part of a trompe l'oeil window in similar
surround to left and earlier chamfered loop to right; 2nd floor, now ruinous,
shows part of another C18 window. Set back to left, later C15 4-storey south
turret has original chamfered loops on ground and 2nd floors and later doorways
to 1st and 2nd floors (latter blocked). At right, projecting 5-storey 2-bay end
of C16 wing shows boarded door under flattened triangular head with tiny loop
to right; upper floors have 2-light windows (some mullions missing); moulded
cornice, remains of crenellated parapet. In angle of centre and wing, taller
corbelled-out turret with chamfered loop.
North wall of wing shows various openings to former C16 hall block, including
remains of Great Chamber fireplace at 1st floor level. South end of south turret
shows ground-floor slit with gunloop, and 2-light C15 and C16 windows to upper
floors. West elevation shows similar loops, and several 2- and 3-light windows
with transoms and hoodmoulds to upper floors; corbelled-out stack to 2nd floor.
To right, south turret has chamfered loops, and 2-light window to 1st floor.
Interior: segmental barrel vaults on ground floor. C16/C17 moulded fireplaces
to 1st and 2nd floors. C15 1st floor fireplace in south turret has corbelled-
out lintel. Stone winder stair (partly collapsed at time of survey) in C16 wing.
Historical notes. Foundations removed 1881 may have been of earlier medieval
castle of Divelstons. Best known for its connections with the popular 3rd
Earl of Derwentwater, executed 1716 for his part in the Jacobite rebellion;
after the death of his son in 1731 the Derwentwater estates were seized by the
Government and passed to the Greenwich Hospital Trustees, who in 1765 demolished
the Hall except for the original towerhouse.
Northumberland County History X, 286-96.
Roofless and in poor condition at time of survey.