© Mr Kenneth Robinson
CORBRIDGE, TYNEDALE, NORTHUMBERLAND
Mr Kenneth Robinson
23 April 2002
15 April 1969
Date of last amendment:
15 April 1969
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
CORBRIDGE DILSTON HALL
NY 96 SE
Roman Catholic Chapel, early C17 perhaps incorporating medieval fabric, reroofed
c.1850. Coursed rubble with roughly-shaped quoins and cut dressings; stone slate
roof (formerly lead). Simple rectangular plan with narrower western stair
turret. Gothic Survival style.
South wall stair turret + 3 bays. Turret has chamfered loop and moulded string
below crenellated moulded parapet; west face has chamfered loop and corbelled
projection to left; on north side a blocked doorway with triangular head beneath
empty panel and chamfered loops. Bellcote behind has triangular-headed opening
and moulded cap. Nave has old boarded door on south in moulded surround with
flattened triangular head, with 2 chamfered single-light windows (upper to former
gallery) and south-east window of 3 pointed lights in square frame, with
hoodmould. North wall shows three 3-light windows, with traces of blocked door
beneath the western; built-in slab with cross and inscription MARIA, in moulded
surround. East end has window of 3 pointed lights under round-headed arch with
hoodmould; panel with Radcliffe arms above. Roman tombstone built into wall below
and small loop to Derwentwater vault just above ground level.
Interior: Old box stalls with fielded panelling, C18 altar rails with moulded
balusters. Old boarded stair in chamfered surround. 4-bay roof has cambered
tie beams carrying purlins and ridge; central tie shows mortices for timbers of
former gallery (Derwentwater family pew). C17 iron-bound chest. Clear leaded
glass in all windows. Derwentwater vault (not seen) has stone stair, beneath
flag in chancel, and ribbed vault.
Rare example of a Post-Reformation Recusant Chapel, traditionally said to have
been built with finances raised for the Gunpower Plot (1605). Anglican from
1733. The Derwentwater Vault was cleared in 1874.