You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 239983  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Morrison

IoE Number: 239983
Location: CHESTERS MUSEUM, B6319 (south side)
  HUMSHAUGH, TYNEDALE, NORTHUMBERLAND
Photographer: Mr Michael Morrison
Date Photographed: 18 November 2002
Date listed: 24 May 1988
Date of last amendment: 24 May 1988
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

HUMSHAUGHB6319NY 9170(south side)15/224Chesters Museum

HUMSHAUGH B6319 NY 9170 (south side) 15/224 Chesters Museum GV II* Museum. Commissioned before 1895 by Nathaniel George Clayton, nephew of John Clayton who owned the Roman site of Chesters and began the excavations; opened in 1903, after the deaths of Nathaniel and his son John Bertram, for Mrs Nathaniel George Clayton by R Norman Shaw. Coarse local sandstone, rock-faced and snecked, with ashlar dressings. Graduated Lakeland slate roof with long glazed panels, ashlar stack. 1 tall storey, 5 bays, with 2-bay west wing forming L-plan. Extended pedimented west porch has segment-headed door of 6 fielded panels in rusticated architrave, the upper voussoir-like rustications rising to bracketed stone cornice hood. Cornice continues around porch which has narrow left bay with small window. Quoins to porch and to all salient angles. Long elevations blank; windows in gable ends. South end has 2 windows, 1 blocked, and an oculus above. Windows in rusticated architraves with ovolo-moulded cills, friezes and cornices over; oculus in architrave. Deeply-overhanging eaves on long oak braces resting on stone corbels; chimney on gable peak. Eaves overhang even more on long elevations, the outer edges supported on similar long braces. North gabe end has oculus and 1 window; west end of wing has oculus, window and door. All openings except the north window are in architraves and all but the oculi are rusticated. Interior: Entrance lobby leads to main interior space with hammer-beamed boarded roof; similar roof in wing. Corner fireplaces at west angles of main room and back-to-back in the L: architraved openings with swell frieze and cornice, and corniced overmantel block. Good half- glazed panelled internal doors and 6-panel back door in wing. Corbelled stone shelf, around 3 outer walls of main room, inserted circa 1905 to hold Roman sculptured pieces.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.