© Mr Bob Cottrell ARPS AFIAP DPAGB
BLENKINSOPP CASTLE, A 69(T) (north off)
GREENHEAD, TYNEDALE, NORTHUMBERLAND
Mr Bob Cottrell ARPS AFIAP DPAGB
24 April 2006
10 June 1952
Date of last amendment:
10 June 1952
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
GREENHEAD A 69(T)
NY 66 SE
(South side, off)
15/70 Blenkinsopp Castle
10/6/52 (previously listed
in the Civil Parish
House incorporating fragments of a medieval tower house. Licence to crenellate
1340; colliery agent's house added c.1832 (possibly by John Dobson); enlarged
and largely rebuilt in Tudor style 1877-80 for William Lisle Blenkinsopp Coulson.
First floor of 1880 entrance block removed in 1986. Dressed and squared stone
incorporating some Roman material; roofs and chimneys of occupied west and north
ranges are not visible; entrance block and agent's house now roofless ruins.
Square-plan entrance block with agent's house set back on east and L-plan north
range and house, with wall enclosing small yard, on west. Tudor style c.1880
details. Mainly 2- and 3-light mullioned windows under hoodmoulds.
2-bay entrance block incorporates medieval fabric especially in east will:
4-centred moulded doorway (in square frame with foliage-carved spandrels under
hoodmould) and 3-light window on front. 2-bay agent's house has window with
re-set cable-moulded surround on front and projecting bay window on east return.
2-storey occupied house at west has one-bay front and 2-bay returns: 2-light
first-floor-oriel window on front; embattled parapets; medieval fabric (including
ground-floor room with rubble ceiling and external wall footings) at north-west
corner. Wall enclosing yard has central round archway and incorporates re-set
carved Roman and medieval fragments. 2-storey, 6-bay north range with 2-bay
rear elevation of agent's house at east: 2- and 3-light windows and embattled
parapet on 6-bay section; 3-light windows with arched heads on agent's house.
Archway and former stable block (now restaurant) on west return of occupied
house are not of special interest. Apart from the occupied house and north
range, the remains are in a derelict condition. Scheduled Ancient Monument.