You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 241470  

Print Page



© Mr Trevor Sowray

IoE Number: 241470
Location: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE (east side)
  BOLE, BASSETLAW, NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Trevor Sowray
Date Photographed: 03 December 2002
Date listed: 01 February 1967
Date of last amendment: 01 February 1967
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SK 78 SWCLARBOROUGHCHURCH LANE(east side)4/4Church of St.John1.2.67the Baptist

SK 78 SW CLARBOROUGH CHURCH LANE (east side) 4/4 Church of St.John 1.2.67 the Baptist G.V. I Parish church. C13, C14, C15, restored 1874 by James Fowler. Dressed stone and coursed squared rubble with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. Moulded and chamfered plinths, string courses, moulded parapets, coped gables with crosses. West tower, nave, north aisle, chancel, south aisle, south porch. Two stage west tower has a pair of diagonal buttresses, eaves band, 4 gargoyles, crenellated parapet with 4 crocketed pinnacles. West front has C19 double lancet with hood mould. Second stage has 4 C13 cusped double lancet bell openings with chamfered reveals and hood moulds. 3 bay nave has single gargoyles to north, gabled chimney on north east corner and to south, 3 gargoyles. 4 bay north aisle has 5 buttresses, 3 setoffs. To west, single C19 cusped ogee head double lancet in square headed moulded opening. North side has 4 similar lancets, C15, with tracery restored. The easternmost is smaller. To east again, C19 pointed doorway in square reveal with hood mould. 2 bay chancel has pair of diagonal buttresses to east and single buttress to south, all 3 setoffs. East end has C15 quadruple lancet with cusped heads, coved and chamfered reveal and hood mould. South side has to west, single C15 double lancet with cusped ogee heads, square reveal and hood mould. To east, single C16 triple lancet with cusped heads, elliptical opening and splayed reveal. 3 bay south aisle has 3 buttresses with 4 or 5 setoffs and above, 3 gargoyles. South side has 2 C15 cusped ogee headed double lancets in square headed reveal with hood mould. Similar east and west windows. Single bay south porch has a pair of corner buttresses of 2 setoffs. Single cusped lancet on each side with square head and hood mould. Moulded doorway with hood mould with mask stops. Inner doorway has moulded C14 opening with hood mould and 2 miniature gabled buttresses. Tower arch, C14, restored C19, has double chamfer and rebate, moulded imposts and hood mould with foliate stops. Tower chamber has to north large marble and slate Classical C18 memorial with female figure and draped urn and missing inscription panel. Attributed to the Fishers of York. Nave arcade, C13, has 2 round piers with water holding bases and moulded octagonal caps. Double chamfered and rebated arches with keeled responds. South arcade, C14, has 2 octagonal piers with moulded octagonal bases and capitals, double chamfered and rebated arches and half pier responds. Low pitched roof with corbels carrying curved brackets to tie beams, foliate bosses and moulded principal timbers. North aisle has 4 centred arched opening to vestry at east end. Vestry has single Tudor arched door. C19 lean-to roof on corbels. Chancel arch, C19 in C14 style, double chamfered and rebated, with octagonal imposts and hood mould with foliate stops. Chancel has to north organ opening and doorway. To east, panelled timber reredos and window with stained glass by Kempe, 1900. C19 principal rafter roof with curved brackets on corbels. South aisle has C19 lean-to roof. Fittings include C19 traceried panelled octagonal stone pulpit, plain timber lectern, octagonal font with 4 traceried panels on bowl and wooden lid. Plain deal pews, pierced and carved stalls and desks. Classical style war memorial, 1918, brass, 1752, 3 brasses C20.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.