© Mr JM Webber ARPS
MUSTERS ROAD METHODIST CHURCH, MUSTERS ROAD (east side)
WEST BRIDGFORD, RUSHCLIFFE, NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
Mr JM Webber ARPS
31 July 2004
13 April 1987
Date of last amendment:
13 April 1987
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SK 53 NE WEST BRIDGFORD MUSTERS ROAD
1/8 Musters Road
Methodist Church. 1899. By R. C. Sutton. Late C14 style.
Tooled and plain ashlar. Lead and slate gabled roofs. Chamfered
plinth, moulded string course and eaves band, crenellated
parapets, shouldered coped gables. Scrolled gutter brackets.
Single side wall and single gable stacks. Windows are mullioned
leaded casements with elliptical heads, and triple lancets with
depressed ogee heads. South west tower, nave and chancel under
continuous roof, north and south aisles, north and south
transepts. South west tower, 2 stages, has 4 pairs of battered
corner buttresses, 2 setoffs. Deep modillioned eaves. Square
leaded tent roof with finial and wind vane. First stage has to
south, triple casement and above, 2 smaller double casements.
West side has a pair of doors with moulded surround, wavy impost
band, and lamp bracket. Above, 2 double casements. North and
east sides blank. Above, on south and west sides, moulded panel
containing clock. On each side, a triple louvred opening. Nave
west end has 2 triple casements and above, a 5 light Decorated
lancet with hood mould. Clerestory has on each side 4 triple
lancets. Chancel east end has similar lancet to nave west end.
North west porch has to west a casement, and to its right a door
with segmental head, leaded overlight and continuous hood mould.
Buttressed north gable has, above, double lancet with hood mould.
Buttressed aisles have each 4 triple lancets. North transept
has 2 casements to north and single casement to west. East side
has doorway with segmental head and to right, 2 casements.
Buttressed south transept has to south a triple lancet and above,
2 slit lights. South east porch has to south a door and to east
2 casements. Entrance lobby has segmental vault. North porch
has dogleg ashlar stair with coped balustrade. Both porches
have doors with segmental heads. Nave arcades, 4 bays, have
round piers with moulded segmental arches. Nave and chancel have
continuous sill band and panelled hammer beam roof. Nave west
end has C20 screen, gallery and stained glass window, 1959, by
Abbott & Co. Ltd. Aisles have plastered groin vaults. Chancel
has dwarf screen wall and panelled dado. East end has stained
glass window, 1902. South side has segmental headed opening
containing organ. Practice room has wooden Classical fireplace
and overmantel. Fittings include traceried octagonal wooden
pulpit with buttressed ashlar base. Traceried panelled communion
table. C20 lectern. Panelled and moulded stalls and desks.
Memorials include bronze tablet, 1935.