You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 241909  

Print Page



© Mr John Hind LRPS

IoE Number: 241909
Location: CHURCH OF ST PAULINUS, CHURCH CIRCLE
  OLLERTON, NEWARK AND SHERWOOD, NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
Photographer: Mr John Hind LRPS
Date Photographed: 21 August 2004
Date listed: 28 April 1986
Date of last amendment: 28 April 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

OLLERTONCHURCH CIRCLESK 66 NE3/59Church ofSt. Paulinus

OLLERTON CHURCH CIRCLE SK 66 NE 3/59 Church of St. Paulinus II Parish church. 1931. By Naylor, Sale and Woore for the Butterley Company. Romanesque style. Brick with ashlar and concrete dressings. Gabled, sprocketed plain tile and flat lead roofs. Overburnt brick plinth, cogged gable eaves, tile kneelers and corbels, gables have diaper work and tile patterning. Leaded round headed and Diocletian windows have tile and rebated brick heads. Doors have remarkable scrolled iron and bronze furniture. Single north wall stack with patterned tile gable. Nave, chancel and sanctuary under continuous roof, north porch, south transept, baptistry and south porch. Nave has 4 windows to north and 3 to south. West end has central gabled porch flanked by single paired lancets with relieving arches. Above, 3 lancets. Single bay north porch has a door to east and to north, and triple north window, all with projecting architraves. Chancel has, above, 2 Diocletian windows. Gabled sanctuary has square flanking parapets to east, with moulded copings. On each side, 2 lancets. East end has foundation stone with crest, inscribed 'Henry Bishop of Southwell laid this stone 13th March 1931'. Above, 3 lancets. South transept has half-round bell turret in gable peak. To east, a lancet and to south, 3 lancets. Above, recessed panel with cross. To left, coped parapet. Baptistry and south porch, 2 bays, has to left 2 lancets, and to right, round headed recess containing doorway. Above, 3 small square lights. Nave arcades, 4 bays, have round headed arches and square piers, all rebated, with square imposts. Shaped brick corbels carrying wood imposts to noteworthy kingpost roof with double tie beams and coved wall plate with carved interlace pattern. North and south aisles have splayed window recesses and plank ceilings and each 4 scrolled bronze wall lamps. North aisle has round arch to east. North porch has no architectural features. Baptistry has round headed opening with central round pier and matching responds, square plinths and capitals. South transept contains organ and vestry. Chancel has on each side, 2 bay arcade, that to north with transom and above, 2 stained glass windows. Sanctuary has a pair of buttresses with stone panels. North side has projecting stepped brick aumbry. East end has 3 lancets with stained glass, flanked by cogged corbels. South side has patterned brick recess containingseat with scrolled arms. Fittings include cruciform brick font with mosaic top and cover with carved figures, panelled canted brick pulpit with leaded top edge and bronze handrail, carved oak clergy desk, bronze curtain rail and brackets, Baroque style communion table and altar rail, and folding chairs.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.