You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 241916  

Print Page



© Mr John Hind LRPS

IoE Number: 241916
Location: CHURCH OF ST GILES, NEWARK ROAD (north side)
  OLLERTON, NEWARK AND SHERWOOD, NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
Photographer: Mr John Hind LRPS
Date Photographed: 05 July 2004
Date listed: 11 August 1961
Date of last amendment: 11 August 1961
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

OLLERTONNEWARK ROADSK 66 NE(north side)3/66Church ofSt. Giles

OLLERTON NEWARK ROAD SK 66 NE (north side) 3/66 Church of St. Giles 11.8.61 G.V. II Parish church. c.1780. Gothick style. Irregularly coursed ashlar and brick, rendered. Plain tile and gabled and lean-to slate roofs, low pitch. Ashlar dressings, single capped gable stack. West tower, nave and chancel under continuous roof, C19 vestry and adjoining store, south porch. West tower, 3 stages, has chamfered plinth, 2 string courses, crenellated parapet with 4 crocketed pinnacles, and wind vane. First stage has to north, doorway with lancet-panelled door. Second stage has to south and west, clock, and to north, double lancet. Third stage has 4 double lancet louvred openings. Nave, 4 bays, has 4 triple lancets on each side. North side has to east, lean-to store with cross window to west and door to east. Single bay lean-to vestry has single mullioned window to east. Single bay chancel has to east, triple lancet. Gabled south porch has moulded pointed doorway. Interior has wooden benches, arched plaster ceiling and chamfered pointed doorway with diagonal boarded doors. Aisleless nave has elliptical window heads and intermediate ogee headed panels. Moulded cornice and coved plaster ceiling with C19 brass chandelier. South-east window has stained glass by Heaton, Butler and Bayne, 1875. Half round tower arch has moulded arris. C13 style panelled screen, 1901. Tower chamber has rounded stair enclosure with curved boarded door. Half round chancel arch has panelled intrados. Chancel has half height fielded panelling and moulded cornice. East window has stained glass by C. G. S. Foljambe, 1871. Fittings include roll moulded panelled benches, mid C19 cast iron desks and lectern, late C19 panelled octagonal pulpit and round polished granite font with grouped shafts. C17 oak plank parish chest with 3 locks. C18 chair with turned legs and cutout carved back. Monuments include re-sited headstone to Col. Thomas Markham, 1643. Hatchment, late C18. Classical marble tablet, 1825. 8 C20 brasses. War memorial brass, 1919.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.