You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 242768  

Print Page



© Mr Roger H Mockford

IoE Number: 242768
Location: CHURCH OF ST WILFRID, MAIN STREET (east side)
  NORTH MUSKHAM, NEWARK AND SHERWOOD, NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Roger H Mockford
Date Photographed: 08 July 2002
Date listed: 11 August 1961
Date of last amendment: 11 August 1961
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SK 75 NENORTH MUSKHAMMAIN STREET(east side)7/64Church ofSt. Wilfrid

SK 75 NE NORTH MUSKHAM MAIN STREET (east side) 7/64 Church of St. Wilfrid 11-8-61 G.V. I Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C16. Coursed rubble and large dressed stone, with ashlar dressings. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, chancel, south porch. West tower, C14 and C15, 2 stages, has chamfered plinth, string course, eaves band with masks and 8 gargoyles, moulded crenellated parapet. 4 corner buttresses, single setoff, those to east engaged with aisles. First stage has to west, a cusped ogee headed lancet in square headed reveal with hood mould, and above, a single lancet. Above again, clock. North side has C19 lean-to building with slab roof and door to stokehole. Second stage has 4 C15 cusped head double lancet bell openings with Decorated tracery, chamfered mullions, chamfered and rebated reveals with hood moulds, mask and shield stops. All restored. Nave, 3 bays, has coved eaves, 4 gargoyles, crenellated parapet and east gable with cross. On each side, 4 restored C15 triple lancets with cusped four centred arched heads, coved mullions,splayed reveals and hood moulds. North aisle, C15, has chamfered and moulded plinth, sill band, eaves band and crenellated parapet. To west, gabled stone chimney. Pair of diagonal buttresses, 2 setoffs, with Barton arms in square panels, and a similar intermediate buttress. North side has to east 2 C15 elliptical headed quadruple lancets with simple panel tracery, coved mullions, coved and chamfered reveals, and hood mould. To west, restored elliptical headed doorway with chamfered reveal and hood mould. East end has restored C15 triple lancet with Tudor arched heads, hood mould and mask stops. South aisle, C15, 3 bays, has chamfered plinth, string course, coved eaves band with gargoyles,and crenellated parapet. East end has a C15 triple lancet with coved mullions and reveal and hood mould. South side has to east 2 restored C15 triple lancets with cusped heads, coved mullions and reveals and hood moulds, that to east with mask stops. West end has C16 double lancet with cusped trefoil heads, coved mullion and splayed reveal with triangular head. Chancel, C15, 2 bays, has chamfered plinth, string course, coved eaves band with gargoyles, moulded crenellated parapet and east gable with cross. To east, a pair of diagonal buttresses, 3 setoffs, and on each side a similar intermediate buttress. North side has 2 restored C15 quadruple lancets with elliptical heads and panel tracery and hood moulds with mask stops. East end has C15 quintuple lancet of similar design, with coved mullions, coved reveal, and hood mould with mask stops. South side has off-centre priest's door with cove and roll moulded surround and hood mould with mask and foliate stops. Flanked by single quadruple lancets identical to those on north side. South porch, C15, has chamfered plinth, string course, coved eaves band with gargoyles, crenellated parapet and coped gable with cross. Pair of diagonal buttresses, 2 setoffs. Pointed south doorway with moulded and rebated surround, round responds with moulded bases and crenellated capitals, splayed outer reveal, and hood mould with mask stops. Interior has stone benches and C15 low pitched roof with reeded arched tie beams. Inner south doorway, C13, with chamfered and rebated head and hood mould, containing C15 plank door, 2 leaves, with strap hinges and C18 latch. Nave north arcade, C13, 3 bays, has 2 octagonal piers with altered round bases and moulded capitals. Octagonal east respond has flanking shafts, square bases and moulded capitals. Octagonal west respond has moulded octagonal base and square waterleaf capital. Double chamfered and rebated arches with hood moulds and mask stops. South arcade, C15, 3 bays, has 2 unequal-sided octagonal piers running direct into arches, flanking shafts with round bases and octagonal capitals. Splayed and rebated arches with hood moulds. Low pitched C15 roof with moulded arched tie beams on moulded curved brackets. Moulded purlins and foliate bosses. Alternate brackets have figures holding shields. Tower arch has a pair of half-octagonal responds with moulded bases and capitals. C20 timber screen and above, organ case with projecting console filling the arch. North aisle has to west a window with stained glass panels with Barton rebus and to east a window with similar C15 stained glass fragments in the head. East window has stained glass, 1938. East end has to south a C15 plank door to rood loft. C15 lean-to roof on corbels, with moulded principal timbers. South aisle has to east a C20 traceried panelled timber screen. To south, a C20 aumbry and a C13 style piscina. East window has fragments of C15 stained glass with Barton rebus. West window has stained glass c.1913. C15 lean-to roof with wall plate on corbels, chamfered principal timbers and foliate bosses. Chancel arch C14, restored, coved and rebated with hood mould and moulded round responds with moulded bases and capitals. Large, heavily cusped 5-bay screen, partly C15 and C20, with nodding crested canopy forming rood loft. Above,carved and painted rood. Chancel, 2 bays, has east window with stained glass, c.1905. East end has to south a restored C15 piscina with elliptical head. To north, aumbry with C19 Decorated style surround with crocketed pinnacles and ogee finial. C15 style roof, restored, with curved brackets on corbels, moulded timbers and foliate bosses and shields with monograms. Fittings include traceried panelled timber pulpit, C19 lectern on octagonal timber stem, moulded octagonal font on octagonal stem, inscribed 'H B Feb 20 1662 CM RSAC', with timber cover carrying figure on brackets, 1931. Remains of C14 Decorated style oak screen, C17 chip carved chest with legs, C17 moulded oak table with turned legs, late C17 altar rail with panelled newels and turned balusters. Disused eggcup font bowl and C20 timber reredos. C19 linked chairs, C20 oak stalls, incorporating fragments of C15 work and fleur de lys finial. Monuments include truncated rectangular pyramid with incised arrises, on chamfered base, to John Smithe, 1583. Painted alabaster and slate wall monument with drapedincised panel in moulded surround, with apron and above, draped arms, to William Woolhouse, 1664. Inlaid slate tablet, 1822, Classical marble and slate tablet with Egyptian influence, 1827, slate tablet with oval brass cartouche, 1827, Classical marble and slate tablet, 1853, brasses 1874 and 1913. Timber war memorial in gabled cabinet, 1918.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.