You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 242808  

Print Page



© Mr Roger H Mockford

IoE Number: 242808
Location: CHURCH OF ST WILFRID, CHURCH LANE (east side)
  SOUTH MUSKHAM, NEWARK AND SHERWOOD, NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Roger H Mockford
Date Photographed: 08 July 2002
Date listed: 11 August 1961
Date of last amendment: 11 August 1961
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SK 75 NESOUTH MUSKHAMCHURCH LANE(east side)7/104Church ofSt. Wilfrid

SK 75 NE SOUTH MUSKHAM CHURCH LANE (east side) 7/104 Church of St. Wilfrid 11-8-61 G.V. I Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C16. Restored C19. Dressed stone, coursed and coursed squared rubble. Ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roofs. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, chancel, south porch. West tower, 4 stages, C13 and C15. Deep moulded plinth, 3 string courses, coved eaves band with 4 gargoyles and spouts to north and south, all restored. Crenellated parapet with 4 truncated pinnacles. Weathercock. 2 corner buttresses to west, becoming pilasters above second stage, 6 setoffs. 2 plain buttresses to east, 6 setoffs, engaged with aisles. First stage has to south a C14 trefoil headed lancet and to west, chamfered C13 lancet. Second stage has to south and west a C14 double lancet with cusped head, chamfered mullions, chamfered and rebated reveal, and hood mould. Third stage has to west, clock. Fourth stage has 4 C15 double lancet bell openings with cusped heads and billeted transoms, set in double lancet openings with chamfered reveals, coved ogee hood moulds with finials and mask stops. To west, figure in hood mould spandrel. Nave, 3 bays, has coped east gable. North aisle, 3 bays, has chamfered plinth and 2 coped gables. To west, restored C12 round headed doorway with chamfered hood mould. To east, C19 square headed window with chamfered reveal and hood mould. To east again, large C13 style plain lancet with coved reveal and hood mould. South aisle, 3 bays, has moulded plinth and boarded roof with 2 coped gables. To east, a diagonal buttress, 2 setoffs. East end has C15 triple lancet, restored, with chamfered mullions, chamfered and rebated reveal with square head and hood mould. South side has to east, 2 C15 triple lancets with cusped heads and chamfered mullions, in chamfered and rebated reveals, with four centred arched heads and coved hood moulds, that to west has partly restored tracery. West end has a C15 double lancet with chamfered mullions, chamfered and rebated reveal with square head and coved hood mould. Chancel, 2 bays, 2 builds, has chamfered eaves band and coped east gable with cross. North and south sides have a single central buttress, C19 and C16 respectively. East end has 2 C19 corner buttresses, 2 setoffs. North side has 3 C13 single lancets. East end has large C15 5 light lancet with cusped heads, panel tracery, chamfered mullions, coved and chamfered head and coved hood mould. South side has string course and off-centre priest's door with chamfered four centred arched head. Above, 3 C13 chamfered plain lancets. To west, C15 double lancet with coved mullions, coved square headed reveal and coved hood mould. South porch, C19 in C15 style. Moulded plinth, chamfered eaves, 2 diagonal buttresses to south, 2 setoffs. South doorway has moulded and chamfered round head, responds with moulded capitals and chamfered bases, and hood mould. Above, corbelled niche with hood mould, and above again, coped gable with cross. Interior has wooden benches, remains of stonebenches, and principal rafter roof with collars. Inner doorway, C15, has coved and rebated four centred arched head and reveal, plus hood mould. Above, remains of former gable. South door, C15, weatherstripped, moulded and studded, with sanctuary ring. Nave has north and south arcades, C14, 3 bays, with octagonal piers, moulded capitals and bases. Double chamfered and rebated arches and hood moulds. C19 principal rafter roof with arch braces, and collars carrying strutted kingposts. To west, C13 chamfered doorway to tower chamber. North aisle, C14, has plain C19 lean-to roof. South aisle, C14, widened C16, has east window with stained glass, 1859. Western window on south side has fragments of C15 stained glass, including Arms. West end window has stained glass, C19. Restored C15 roof with 4 moulded arched tie beams and moulded purlins. Chancel arch, late C13, double chamfered and rebated with hood mould, octagonal responds and moulded capitals. Restored moulded bases. Chancel, 2 builds, has keeled sill band and single round responds at junction of bays. Chamfered eaves at east end. Eastern windows to north and south have shouldered pointed heads and single flanking shafts with moulded capitals and bases. East window has single flanking shaft to south with moulded capital and base; similar capital and base to north. Stained glass with Arms. East end has to south, C16 piscina with segmental head. C19 principal rafter roof with curved braces on corbels, collars with king posts, and herringbone matchboarding. Fittings include re-cut C13 font bowl, octagonal, with Romanesque arcading, on moulded octagonal C19 base and stem. Pierced panelled octagonal pulpit, C19, on moulded octagonal base. C20 wooden lectern with tapered square stem. C18 communion table with turned legs and moulded stretchers. Panelled and chamfered C19 benches. 3 C19 stalls with re-used C14 fleur de lys finials and ends carved with birds and beasts. C19 cast iron and wood book stand and altar rail. Matchboard organ case with stencil decoration, c.1870. Monuments include Classical style marble tablet with eared and shouldered moulded panel with segmental head, apron with Arms, and urn finial. To John and Ann Welby, 1779-80. Classical Egyptian style marble and slate tablet with sarcophagus-shaped panel with lions' feet and cornice, carrying truncated obelisk with draped urn and Arms. Signed "Wallis and Marshall, Newark'. To Elizabeth Beevor, 1819. Larger Classical Egyptian style marble and slate tablet with sarcophagus-shaped tabolet, cornice, flanking floral panels and acroteria. Above, truncated obelisk with draped urn, seated female figure and cross. To Henry Huggins, 1824. Marble and slate Egyptian style tablet with Arms, to John Beevor. 1833. Marble tablet with brass insert, 1887. Single brass C19. 2 brasses C20.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.