You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 242828  

Print Page



© Mr Derek E. Godson

IoE Number: 242828
Location: GREET HOUSE, GREET LANE (east side)
  UPTON, NEWARK AND SHERWOOD, NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Derek E. Godson
Date Photographed: 16 May 2004
Date listed: 08 May 2000
Date of last amendment: 19 September 1985
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

UPTON466/8/124GREET LANE08-MAY-00(East side)GREET HOUSE

SK 75 SW UPTON GREET LANE (East side) 466/8/124 Greet House 19.09.1985 II* Alternatively known as: THURGATON INCORPORATION WORKHOUSE Alternatively known as: SOUTHWELL UNION WORKHOUSE Former workhouse. 1824 and later C19 additions. Designed by William Nicholson, architect, for Rev. J T Becher. Brick with ashlar dressings and hipped slate roof. 6 ridge stacks, single roof and single side wall stacks. 3 storeys, 15 bays, cruciform plan. Windows are mostly cast iron glazing bar casements with segmental heads. Main south front has full height canted central bay with hipped roof. Pedimented central porch with rusticated front, and C20 door with fanlight. To left, single bay porch with pediment, corner pilasters and round headed doorway to west, and to its left, 2 blocked casements. To its right, 2 casements, and beyond a C20 casement and another C19 casement. Right wing has a similar porch, flanked to left by 4 C20 casements add beyond, a C19 casement. To its right, 2 casements. Above, central bay has 3 casements in recessed round headed panel, flanked by 7 casements. Above again, half round blocked opening, flanked by 8 casements. East end has central casement and above, a C20 casement. West end has corner pilasters and a blocked opening with segmental head on each floor. Adjoining later C19 addition, single storey, 3 bays, with chamfered eaves. To south, 2 casements and C20 door. To north, C20 door and to its right, 3 casements. East wing north side has 2 C20 doors and regular fenestration with 15 casements and 3 C20 casements and 3 blocked openings. West wing has to north, 2 C20 doors, regular C19 fenestration with 13 casements, 4 C20 casements, and 3 blocked openings. Central rear wing, 3 storeys, 3 bays, has to east 4 casements on each floor. North end has, above, a casement and above again, blocked opening. West side has 3 casements and C20 door to right. Above, to left, blocked opening and to right, 2 C20 and single C19 casements. Above again, 2 casements and 2 blocked openings. At west end, later C19 outbuilding with pyramidal roof. East side has central door with segmental head and overlight, flanked by single casements. Outside, main front has forecourt with 4 brick walls with shaped brick coping, partly ramped. 2 square piers with pyramidal caps. This building was built as the Thurgaton Incorporation Workhouse in 1824 at a cost of ¿6,596. In 1834 it became the Southwell Union Workhouse, a detached infirmary was added in 1870 and this was extended in 1914. In 1926 a second detached infirmary was erected. This workhouse was a very influential design, based on prison designs of the C18, and much copied at Ongar (1830) and Stoke-on-Trent (1832). It is also a very well preserved example of an early workhouse with all its original plan and room layout intact.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.