You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 245370  

Print Page



© Ms Ruth Povey

IoE Number: 245370
Location: CARFAX TOWER, CARFAX
  OXFORD, OXFORD, OXFORDSHIRE
Photographer: Ms Ruth Povey
Date Photographed: 03 July 2002
Date listed: 12 January 1954
Date of last amendment: 12 January 1954
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

CARFAX1485Tower of the Churchof St Martin Carfax(Carfax Tower)

CARFAX 1. 1485 Tower of the Church of St Martin Carfax (Carfax Tower) SP 5106 SW 8/295 12.1.54. II 2. Church rebuilt in 1820-22 by John Ploman, except for west tower, and demolished 1896, again leaving the tower which is, probably C14 in origin; (probably with Saxon work also); it was restored in 1896 by Sir T G Jackson who added the buttresses and turret. The tower has a fine clock with animated figures striking the hours. (RCHM 33). Forms the Western terminal of the High Street.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.