© Ms Helen Green
HOLYWELL MUSIC ROOM, 34 HOLYWELL STREET (north side)
OXFORD, OXFORD, OXFORDSHIRE
Ms Helen Green
07 March 2002
12 January 1954
Date of last amendment:
12 January 1954
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
(Holywell Music Room)
SP 5106 NE 6/195 12.1.54.
Begun in 1742 to the design of Rev Dr Thomas Camplin, Vice Principal of St
Edmund Hall and Archdeacon of Taunton, and opened in 1748 at the cost of
£1,263 lOs Od. 1-storeyed rubble 65 ft x 32 ft x 30 ft high with an apselike
North end and a Welsh slate roof. The South front is stuccoed brick, lies
back from the street about 38 ft and has a projecting rectangular
shaped ground floor with 2 semi-circular arched windows and a stone band
and a moulded cornice; the 1st floor has 3 C18 sash windows in moulded pediment
in which is a blind circular lunette. On the East side there are 3 semi-circular
arched windows. History. Probably one of the earliest buildings in Europe
erected specially for musical performances. (See Peshall's Edition of Wood's
Ancient and Present State of City of Oxford (1773), 247-8 0xf Hist Soc XV
(1889), 247-8; Proc Oxf Architect and Hist Soc V, 208; for drawing of exterior
made by J C Buckler in 1812, p Bodl M S Don a 3 II, 85.
All the listed buildings on the North Side form a group.