You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 245941  

Print Page

© Miss Jennie Anderson

IoE Number: 245941
Photographer: Miss Jennie Anderson
Date Photographed: 03 July 2002
Date listed: 12 January 1954
Date of last amendment: 12 January 1954
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WOODSTOCK ROAD1485(West Side)The Radcliffe Infirmary(Main Block)

612/2/101 WOODSTOCK ROAD 612/3/101 (West side) 12-JAN-54 THE RADCLIFFE INFIRMARY (MAIN BLOCK) GV II* WOODSTOCK ROAD 1. 1485 (West Side) The Radcliffe Infirmary original infirmary block SP 5007 SE 2/101 SP 5107 SW 3/101 12.1.54. II GV 2. Infirmary. 1759-70. By Stiff Leadbetter (d.1766) and founded on the benefaction of Dr. John Radcliffe. 3-storeyed Headington ashlar with attics in a Welsh slate mansard roof. PLAN: Central entrance at ground floor into two-storey entrance hall. Longitudinal corridors at each storey to projecting cross-wings at both ends. Central room to rear projects to bay window with Board Room at first floor and chapel originally above. EXTERIOR: 5-part facade with projecting cross-wings of two windows wide to each end and a slightly projecting frontispiece, three windows wide capped with pediment. Ground floor entrance of 1933 by Stanley Hemp replaces original first floor entrance. Entrance of round-headed doorway with keystone flanked by pilasters carrying a panel and capped with finials. Ground floor reads as basement with six-over-three sashes and plinth. Six-over-six sashes to first and second stories. Sashes have flush surrounds, except for salient sills and first floor sill band. Segmental arch three-over-three dormers to mansard attic behind parapet with cornice. Round window to pediment. Narrow, deep ashlar chimneys. Pair of octagonal full-height sanitary towers by C. Buckeridge of 1869 to rear with water tanks to attic storey. 1911-13 outpatients block by Edward Warren attached and projecting to front left. C19 and C20 additions to the rear. INTERIOR: Longitudinal corridors to first floor are tunnel-vaulted in rough stone and groin-vaulted in finished stone at centre near entrance to Board Room. Board Room with C18 and C19 plaster panels inscribed with the names and donations of benefactors. Upper level rooms with 6-panel door, transom, stone fireplace surround, flag stone floor. The Radcliffe Infirmary Buildings form a group.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.