You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 245987  

Print Page



© Mr Sean Bergin L.R.P.S.

IoE Number: 245987
Location: GUNFIELD, 19 NORHAM GARDENS
  OXFORD, OXFORD, OXFORDSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Sean Bergin L.R.P.S.
Date Photographed: 31 October 2004
Date listed: 08 September 1992
Date of last amendment: 08 September 1992
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

OXFORDNORHAM GARDENSSP 50 NW24/10002No 19 (Gunfield)-II

OXFORD NORHAM GARDENS SP 50 NW 24/10002 No 19 (Gunfield) - II Large detached house with former chapel (later used as a music room) linked by a passageway. 1877 by Frederick Codd. Chapel added 1909 by N.W. & G.A. Harrison for St. Hugh's Hall; linking passageway 1915 by Arthur Hamilton Moberly for the Denekes family. Porch and 3-storey loggia on garden front also by Moberly. Red brick with stone dressings and floor bands, and blue brick bands. Tiled roof with tall gables to bays and tall brick chimney stacks, those to returns rising from ground level. Central bay rises to a small tower with pyramidal roof having a cast iron finial. Gothick style. 2 storeys, attic and semi-basement. 6 windows. Front of 2 gabled outer bays with grouped pointed-arch sashes, 3 to right and 2 to left with central colonette. Stepped to ground floor right. Entrance on right hand return with gabled timber porch approached by steps. Garden front of 2 gabled bays; right hand has canted bay through ground and 1st floor, central windows with colonette mullions, and cast iron balcony to paired pointed arch attic windows with colonette. Left hand bay has projecting timber and brick loggia; ground floor open on 2 sides with tiled roof supporting a smaller timber framed and herringbone brickwork 1st floor balcony with chamfered beam; glazing probably later (this may have been a sleeping balcony). Tiled roof with overhanging eaves supporting an openwork timber balustrade to a roof terrace approached by flat-arched attic doorway. Interior retains many original features including cornices and skirting boards. Open well staircase has curiously low-level balustrade of turned balusters with moulded handrail and carved lion finial to newel. Gothick stone chimneypiece in stair hall. Ground floor Gothick doors with chamfered panel rails. Two main reception rooms converted to one with 2 column screen having moulded frame in simple Art Deco style; believed to be by Moberly. Each of these rooms with an C18 style chimneypiece. The original entrance bell in elaborate cast and wrought iron crenellated housing with long pull enriched with wrought iron flora and foliage and open-work pendant has been repositioned inside the hall. External passageway to the former chapel of 2 storeys, the top tile-hung with 2-light windows, and tiled roof. Ground floor open to front with good cast and wrought iron lantern with coloured glass diamond panes and scrolled wrought iron bracket. F mer chapel of brick with pitched tiled roof. Single storey. 4 bays, each buttressed with tiled off- sets. 4-light transom and mullion windows with small leaded panes; eastern window with cusped tracery head. Interior has well detailed open arch-braced timber roof, fireplace, parquet floor and western gallery.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.