You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 249488  

Print Page



© Mrs Hilary Taylor

IoE Number: 249488
Location: CHURCH OF THE HOLY ASCENSION,
  LITTLEWORTH, VALE OF WHITE HORSE, OXFORDSHIRE
Photographer: Mrs Hilary Taylor
Date Photographed: 17 July 2001
Date listed: 21 November 1966
Date of last amendment: 21 November 1966
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LITTLEWORTHLITTLEWORTHSU 31972/3Church of the HolyAscension

LITTLEWORTH LITTLEWORTH SU 3197 2/3 Church of the Holy Ascension 21.11.66 - II Church 1839 by H J Underwood of Oxford with chancel 1876. Rubble stone with ashlar dressings. Lancet Gothic. 3-bay nave, broad, aisleless with low pitched stone tiled roof. Side buttresses and diagonal angle buttresses with string course at level of top set-off and window heads. Dentil eaves course. More elaborate west front with bellcote and 2-light west window with quatrefoil light over, all ashlar with hoodmould stepped up from string course. Gabled porch with shafted moulded arch and carved foliage capitals. 2-bay chancel, crazed rubble. Cusped lancets and 3 lancets to east end. Projecting plinth. Priest's door with ornate ironwork. Interior: Thin false hammerbeam nave roof, arched braced collar truss with crown posts to chancel. East window with-moulded rear arches and triple shafts between lights. In nave 4 panels of sacred texts painted on metal in a C15 illuminated manuscript style. Church founded by the Tractarian, E B Pusey.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.