© Mr Stuart Brighton
CHURCH OF ST HELEN,
ST HELEN WITHOUT, VALE OF WHITE HORSE, OXFORDSHIRE
Mr Stuart Brighton
18 March 2003
24 June 1987
Date of last amendment:
24 June 1987
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST.HELEN WITHOUT DRY SANDFORD
16/132 Church of St. Helen
Church. 1855, by J.B. Clacy. Coursed and dressed limestone (highly ferruginous
and ruddy coloured) with buff-coloured ashlar dressings. Stone-coped gables to
stone slate roof. Chancel with north vestry, and nave with north chapel. Early
English style. Apsidal east end has hood moulds over 5 trefoil-headed lancets:
2-bay chancel has similar lancets and moulded trefoil-arched south door: vestry,
which has 2-light window, pointed-arched door and 2-light geometrical-style
gable-end window, adjoins short stair turret with broached pyramidal cap.
Bellcote at east end of nave. 5-bay nave has plain lancets (paired in east bay)
divided by offset buttresses: south porch has pointed moulded doors, with
engaged shafts on outer door, and 3-light trefoil-headed side windows. 3-light
stepped lancet west window. All windows have hood moulds with ballflower stops.
Interior: vault in apsidal sanctuary has groins continued as shafts with
ballflower capitals. Double-chamfered sanctuary arch has similar engaged shafts
with ballflower capitals. Chancel: hood moulds over rere-arches with bell
capitals to engaged shafts. Poppyhead bench ends. Oak screen to vestry has
trefoil-headed arches divided by ringed shafts with bell capitals and trefoiled
spandrels. Steps from vestry through trefoil-arched door to pulpit facing nave:
stone canopy above square C13-style richly-carved pulpit with marble corner
shafts. Reader's desk has circular rail of C13-style trefoil-headed arches. Roof
has enamelled text plates.
(Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.130).