You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 250267  

Print Page



© Dr David J Mazey LRPS

IoE Number: 250267
Location: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS,
  ABINGDON, VALE OF WHITE HORSE, OXFORDSHIRE
Photographer: Dr David J Mazey LRPS
Date Photographed: 30 July 2001
Date listed: 19 January 1951
Date of last amendment: 19 January 1951
Grade A

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

752ABBEYSU 4997 1/14719.1.51Church of St NicholasA

1. 752 ABBEY SU 4997 1/147 19.1.51 Church of St Nicholas A 2. Dates from second half of the C12. Provided by the Benedictine Abbey for the use of the lay members. West and north walls original. South wall pulled down in a riot of 1327. Bell Tower added in the C15. Bells of 1741, Chancel and windows altered in the C15 when the Abbey gatehouse (qv) was rebuilt against the south wall. River Stert runs under the Nave. Second south window has armorial glass of the early C15. Ancient stone lantern inside the west door. Cross of stone in the north wall, discovered in the 1881 restoration, is a survivor of the attacks of Parliamentary Forces under General Waller in 1644, also a fragment of stone reredos now on the south wall of the Clergy Vestry. Tomb of John Blacknall, died 1625.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.