You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 250865  

Print Page



© Mr Chris Tresise

IoE Number: 250865
Location: BUCKLAND HOUSE,
  BUCKLAND, VALE OF WHITE HORSE, OXFORDSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Chris Tresise
Date Photographed: 24 May 2004
Date listed: 21 November 1966
Date of last amendment: 21 November 1966
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BUCKLANDBUCKLAND PARKSU39NW2/13Buckland House21/11/66GVII*

BUCKLAND BUCKLAND PARK SU39NW 2/13 Buckland House 21/11/66 GV II* Country House. c.1757 for Sir Robert Throckmorton by John Wood the younger; alterations and additions c.1910 by Romaine Walker. Limestone ashlar and rusticated limestone; Welsh slate and lead roof; limestone ashlar stacks. original plan was house flanked by low wings with octagonal pavilions. Large side wings added c.1910. Two storeys and attic; 5 bays 1:3:1 fenestration with giant order of Corinthian capitals to central pediment. Ashlar to basement with wedged and keyed lintels over sashes. Chamfered rustication to ground floor and porch of c.1910, whcih has keyed semi-circular arch over 4-panelled double-leaf doors with fanlight and balustraded parapet. Porch flanked by sashes in similar openings. Alternate first-floor sashes set in pedimented Corinthian aedicules on consoles. Floating cornices and Corinthian columns frame windows flanked centre bay. Garlands and putti to broad frieze; 2-light attic windows; Ionic modillioned cornice. Hipped roof; prominent ridge stack and lesser internal stacks. Low 9-bay side wings of early C20 French windows alternating with blind round-headed alcoves and with balustraded parapet connect main block to outer octagonal pavilions; pedimented front bay of each pavilion has paired Doric pilasters breaking into a Venetian window with Doric pilasters, and side walls have semi-circular arches over sashes. Low balustrades link main block to pavilions and to steps fronting right pavilion. Two storey and attic, 3 x 5 bay blocks to left and right of central block built c.1910 in similar style and materials. Tympanum of central projection and rear bays has carved heraldic crest. Interior: Entrance hall c,1910 with coupled Roman Ionic pilaster and garlanded panels over each of 6-panelled doors. Saloon of c.1757 behind hall has consoles to floating cornices aver 6-panelled doors, modillioned cornice to fine plaster coving with modillions and swags and painted ceiling depicting Reni's s "Aurora". Large chimney piece. Room to left has fine late C18 coloured marble fireplace and garlanded frieze to ceiling with rococo plasterwork. Staircase of c.1910) in original position to rear left of hall. Doric pilasters frame walls of passage to east pavilion, possibly a chapel, which has Corinthian angle pilasters, modillioned cornice and garlanded frieze to ceiling with strapwork; alternating pedimented Corinthian aedicules and semi-circular arches with coffered reveals to projecting bays; head of Apollo with rays to fireplace. West pavilion has scagliola Corinthian columns, late C18 fireplace, frieze with putti and modillions to painting ceiling by Cupicani and Rebecca depicting various Arts and Sciences. First floor: semi-circular arches with coffered reveals, mid C18 fireplaces, more elaborate fireplaces and plaster friezes to main rooms on right. Corinthian capitals to Venetian windows in side walls. Flanking blocks of c.1910; Queen Anne style rooms with bolection moulded panelling to left and painted ceiling in room with panelled dado to right; bathrooms with inlaid marble walls to both floors an right. (Howard Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1660-1840, 1978, p.912; Buildings of England: Berkshire, pp.105-6; A.S.N. Wright, The History of Buckland, 1966, pp.45-7, 65).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.