You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 253422  

Print Page



© Mr Philip Barnett

IoE Number: 253422
Location: WEALD MANOR,
  BAMPTON, WEST OXFORDSHIRE, OXFORDSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Philip Barnett
Date Photographed: 21 December 2002
Date listed: 12 September 1955
Date of last amendment: 12 September 1955
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SP3002-3102BAMPTONWEALD14/112Weald Manor12/09/55

SP3002-3102 BAMPTON WEALD 14/112 Weald Manor 12/09/55 GV II* Large house. East and north wings are late C17 in origin, remodelled and extended to quadrangular plan 1742. Much of interior decoration also dates back to c.1742. House refurbished and courtyard infilled c.1900. Coursed rubble limestone with ashlar dressings and parapets, the south front of better dressed stone, part rendered. Hipped roofs with stone slates to outer pitches and C20 tiles to inner pitches. Ashlar chimneys have rows of square shafts linked by cornice tops. 2 storeys and attic. East front is of 6 main bays with narrow chimney bays flanking centre in rhythm 2:1:2:1:2. Projecting plinth, semi-dressed quoins, coped parapet with string below and sunk panels in unmoulded architraves. 2-pane sashes of c.1900 with thick ovolo-moulded glazing bars, all in original moulded stone architrave surrounds. Chimney bays have small single lights with similar glazing bars and surrounds. Central windows all have rubble stone relieving arches. 3 hipped dormers are mostly hidden by parapet. Central doorway with double half-glazed doors in architrave frame. Fine C18 stone porch, possibly an addition, with Doric columns, cornice, pediment, and large urn finial. Porch has latin inscription on frieze, and later glazed infill with radiating fanlight. North front has 6 bays with similar parapet, sashes and dormers, but with building break between bays 4 and 5. First floor sash in bay altered to matching 2-light casement. West front has 5 bays of sashes and simpler parapet without raised surrounds to panels. Left bay altered, with door, C20 single light, and C20 port-hole window to stairs. Central wide door of c.1900, half-glazed, in C18 stone porch with entablature on Doric columns, octagonal stair turret and former outbuilding, converted to studio c.1900 project to right. South front, also with simpler parapet, has 6 bays of sashes to first floor left, altered ground floor fenestration, and C19-C20 canted bay window to right. Interior retains many features of c.1742, including a fine range of stone fireplaces with moulded architraves and cornices. Especially notable are the fireplaces in hall and drawing room, which both have open pediments with pedestals. Drawing room fireplace is very large, with 2 Ionic columns to either side, tall moulded pedestal, and carved putti seated on blocking course on pediment. Ground floor room in south-east corner of house has canted stone niche, panelled, with flanking composite pilasters on high pedestals, and rosette boss to soffit. Niche may be re-assembled from fragments, and is not in original position. Another stone niche is set into passage between hall and north-east dining room. This niche has shell top, fluted pilasters with acanthus capitals, stone shelves, and low stone basin. Passage between rooms above on first floor has built-in wooden chest of drawers of contemporary date. South-east bedroom is alone in retaining late C17 decoration, with raised and fielded wooden panelling and cornice, and bolection moulded stone fireplace. Other rooms have C18 plaster ceiling cornices, either with modillions and small rosettes, or with egg and dart ornament. Some rooms, e.g. dining room, have matching C19-C20 cornices. Drawing room has C18 moulded skirtings, dado rail and window surround, but C20 wall panels and c.1900 plaster ceiling. Staircase and screen of Ionic columns in hall are also of c.1900. C17-C18 stone fireplace with depressed arch in kitchen. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, pp433-4; Country Life: August 2nd, 1946)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.