You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 255839  

Print Page



© Mr John Garton - Jones ARPS

IoE Number: 255839
Location: HALSTON HALL, ELLESMERE ROAD (south side)
  WHITTINGTON, OSWESTRY, SHROPSHIRE
Photographer: Mr John Garton - Jones ARPS
Date Photographed: 07 September 1999
Date listed: 19 January 1952
Date of last amendment: 02 September 1987
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WHITTINGTON C.P.ELLESMERE ROAD (south side)SJ 3231-333111/123Halston Hall includingattached flanking wallsand balustrade to rear

WHITTINGTON C.P. ELLESMERE ROAD (south side) SJ 3231-3331 11/123 Halston Hall including attached flanking walls and balustrade to rear 19.1.52 (formerly listed as Halston Hall) GV I Country house. Circa 1690 with alterations by Robert Mylne for John Mytton 1766-68; further early to mid-C19 additions and alterations. Red brick with chamfered stone angle quoins and moulded plinth; double-span slate roof with coped verges and eaves parapet with ball finials to corners, including to those of central block. 2 storeys and attic with continuous stone floor band and moulded modillioned eaves cornice with elaborately carved brackets carried up around central pediment; cellars. 2:5:2 bays, centre section forming pedimented break with roundel in moulded stone surround to centre of pediment; glazing bar sashes (15-paned to ground floor) with gauged heads and plain moulded stone cills, including to 'dummy' window to lower right of pedimented section. Segmental- shaped dormers with glazing bar sashes in bottom of roof slope, probably late C18 or C19, one to each side of pediment and 2 to flanking wings. Central entrance; probably early C18 porch with alternating bands of rustication, grooved lintel with projecting keystone, segmental wooden pediment with cartouche and 8-paned glazing bar sashes to sides, approached by flight of 4 steps. Moulded wooden door surround has 6-panel door with wreathed and radiating lead fanlight set in larger rectangular overlight. Lead downpipes in angles between pediment and flanking ranges. Red brick ridge stacks immediately in front of ridge to left and right of pediment have 3 attached and rebated shafts with moulded stone capping; similar stacks immediately in front of ridge to rear and valley stack to centre. Integral end stacks with 7 attached and rebated shafts with moulded stone capping over recessed blind round-headed arch, which carries the flues to either side. Original arrangement to left gable end partly obscured by later addition but right gable end has lunette window to attic over 2 sash windows with gauged heads to first floor. Flanking screen walls to left and right said to be c.1850. Red brick with stone dressings. Semi-circular with 11 blind round-headed arches divided by plain pilasters supporting moulded entabla- ture; single-bay projections to ends and buttressed to rear. Garden front. 2 storeys and attic with same details as entrance front. 2:1:3:1:2 bays, outer bays projecting and centre section forming slightly projecting break. Glazing bar sashes (8-paned to ground floor) with gauged heads. Eaves parapet rebuilt to original design in 1985. Balustrade in space between projecting wings, approached by flight of 6 steps to centre has rather stumpy turned balusters. Lower 5-bay service range slightly set back to right has glazing bar sashes with gauged heads on each floor. Entrance through mid-C19 stone porch to left with round-headed outer arch and plain entablature over contemporary half-glazed inner door with blind semi-circular fanlight. Double-span slate roof with tall integral end stack to right and similar stack roughly to centre of rear ridge. Lower rectangular range slightly projecting to right is also early C19 and has low-pitched hipped slate roof, partly concealed by coped parapet. 3 glazing bar sashes with gauged heads to right wall and integral stack with wooden octagonal louvred lantern behind to left corner. Interior. Entrance hall has stone-flagged floor and raised and fielded panelling to walls. Stone fireplace with fluted consoles. Plaster ceiling with Gothic bosses and leaf decoration to cornice looks Victorian. Double panelled doors in pilastered doorcase to back wall leads to saloon. This is by Mylne with shallow bows at each end and a fine door surround. Ornamental raised and fielded panelling with delicate frieze and cornice. Pedimented glass-fronted wall cupboard to left wall and Adam-style marble fireplaces in the centre of each bow. Concealed door to room to left. Room to right of entrance hall is panelled and has built- in wall cupboard with round-headed arch and fluted pilasters. Marble fireplace with late C18 cast-iron hour-glass grate. Room to left of saloon has complete raised and fielded panelling with cornice and C18 moulded marble fireplace. Open-well staircase behind room to right of entrance hall has sturdy turned balusters, plain newel posts and closed string: said to have been brought from a house in Herefordshire. Gothic-style plaster ribbed ceiling above looks Victorian. Several first-floor rooms have raised and fielded panelling with moulded wooden cornices. Moulded wooden fireplaces, some with late C18 cast- iron grates, including several of hour-glass type. Panelled doors throughout. Attic rooms, formerly servants' quarters, have rooms with cast-iron Victorian grates and sets of bells in corridor. One room has reused square oak panelling including to roof slope; several inset panelled wall cupboards with H-hinges. B.o.E. pp. 136-7; Colvin (1978), p.576; Christopher Gotch, 'Mylne and Adam', Architectural Review (Feb 1956), p. 122; Francis Leach, The Country Seats of Shropshire (1891), pp 386-8.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.