You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 257001  

Print Page



©  Gill Cardy ARPS

IoE Number: 257001
Location: PLOWDEN HALL,
  LYDBURY NORTH, SOUTH SHROPSHIRE, SHROPSHIRE
Photographer: Gill Cardy ARPS
Date Photographed: 12 June 2004
Date listed: 01 December 1951
Date of last amendment: 01 December 1951
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SO 38 NELYDBURY NORTH C.P.-6/87Plowden Hall-1/12/51

SO 38 NE LYDBURY NORTH C.P. - 6/87 Plowden Hall - 1/12/51 GV II* Country house. Circa 1300, mid C14, C16 and C17 with C18 and late C19 alterations and additions. Timber framed with painted wattle and daub infil panels, painted brick nogging, rendering, and partial painted coursed limestone rubble refacing; slate roofs. Irregular H-plan consisting of remains of central circa 1300 three framed-bay quasi- aisled former-open hall, mid C14 three framed-bay solar cross wing to south with probably early C16 one framed bay addition to east, probably C17 further cross wing parallel to south, and circa 1580 three framed- bay cross wing to-north. One storey and attic, 2 storeys, and 2 storeys and attic. Partly rendered brick stacks, external lateral stack to central hall range, 2 stacks to left-hand cross wing and 4 stacks to right-hand cross Wing, 3 with rendered pitched-roof links to attic. Decorative framing: principally close studding with central rail, short corner braces, double-curved tension braces, quatrefoil panels, and parallel digonal framing forming lozenge-patterns. East front; central hall range: two C19 gabled dormers with 2-light casements; early C18 refacing of 5 bays with glazing bar sashes and central door with 10 raised and fielded panels, moulded architrave and bracketed semi-circular niched hood. Left-hand cross wing: first floor and gable end jettied with brackets and moulded bressumers; crown post truss exposed in gable end. First floor C19 three-light leaded casement and underbuilt ground floor with C19 two-light leaded casement. Right- hand return front with 10-panelled door and bracketed semi-circular niched hood. Parallel cross wing to left with C19 two-light leaded first floor casement and 2-light ground floor leaded casement. Right- hand cross wing: gabled dormers in attic to north and south. First floor and gable end jettied with brackets and moulded bressumers. C19 four-light attic casement, 3 first floor C18 glazing bar sashes and 2 ground floor C18 glazing bar sashes; one storey lean-to to right with boarded door to front. West front; central hall range: one storey lean-to with 2 glazing bar sashes flanking central boarded door; attached C20 conservatory. Right-hand cross wing: queen post truss with V-struts above exposed in gable end; ground floor 3-light case- ment to left. Former 2 storey gabled garderobe to right with rendered base and 2-light casement on each floor. Left-hand cross wing: first floor and gable end jettied with brackets and moulded bressumers; C19 three-light leaded attic casement, and three C18 glazing bar sashes on first and ground floor, that in centre on ground floor with movable wall section beneath to create entrance. Interior; hall range: remains of central arch-braced base cruck; crown post truss to north with longitud- inal bracing and transverse tension braces; first floor probably inserted after 1691. Six raised and fielded panelled doors; C17 panelling with gadrooned frieze. Fireplace dated 1653 with scrolled overmantel, arched panels, guilloche ornament, and moulded cornice with carved deer in panel. South cross wing: moulded arch-bracing to cusped tie beams, principal rafters and inclined struts; windbraces and chamfered and stopped tenoned purlins. First floor chapel with brass to H. Plowden and wife of 1557, 2 figures from Bishop's Castle church; billet- decorated beams in ground floor room to west. North cross wing: double purlin roof with double queen-strut trusses. Drawing room with cross- beam ceiling; C17 panelling with gadrooned frieze; fireplace with C18 surround, and overmantel consisting of fluted Ionic columns, 2 tiers of inlaid arcading, frieze and cornice; overmantel in first floor room with 2 tiers of orders, Ionic below and Corinthian above; late C16 panelling throughout wing; 2 priest-holes adjacent to large stacks at north. Early C18 staircase consisting of 4 flights with square well, turned balusters, fluted Doric column newel post, open string with cut tread- ends, moulded ramped handrail, and balustrade to landing; C17 back staircase with splat balusters. The Catholic Plowden family have lived in this house since the C12, substantially rebuilt and added-to in the late C16 by the great lawyer Edmund Plowden (1517-1584). N.M.R.; N. Pevsner, B.O.E. Shropshire, p.229; Country Life, Vol. CLVII, February 1975, pp.318-21; M. Moran, The Mediaeval Parts of Plowden Hall, T.S.A.S., Vol LIX, pp.264-271.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.