You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 258928  

Print Page

© Mr James Leach

IoE Number: 258928
Location: LOTON PARK,
Photographer: Mr James Leach
Date Photographed: 30 June 2001
Date listed: 18 March 1986
Date of last amendment: 29 January 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.


SJ 3514 ALBERBURY WITH ALBERBURY CARDESTON C.P. 12/23 Loton Park 29.1.52 GV II* Country house. Circa 1670, enlarged 1711, extended and remodelled c.1830 and c.1838 by Thomas Jones (c.1794-1859) of Chester, and further enlarged in 1873. Red brick with grey and red (c.1870) sandstone ashlar dressings; 2-span plain tile roof. C17 U- or H- plan house, C18 addition to north and c.1873 wing at angle to south-east. Basement, 2 storeys and attic with one storey and attic wing. South front: chamfered stone plinth, quoins, chamfered stone-coped parapeted gables with shaped keeelers, and finials at feet and apexes; C19 brick stacks consisting of star-shaped shafts with moulded bases and oversailing tops [central stack truncated at time of survey (June 1985) after a fire]. 1:3:1 bays with projecting gabled (gables added c.1838) wings and central gabled semi-dormer; mid-C19 wooden cross-windows with chamfered reveals and returned hoodmoulds; central first-floor window with flanking stone Corinthian columns supporting broken triangular pediment with heraldic cartouche in tympanum ; pair of French casements flanking central pair of half-glazed doors with moulded architrave and doorcase with Ionic pilasters supporting frieze and cornice; central c.1838 three-bay ashlar loggia/porch with 4 steps to base, round arches with imposts, Tuscan columns supporting entablature, and balustrade. Circa 1870 theatre-wing to right consisting of 3-bay centre with buttresses dividing tall 2-light mullion and transomed windows and 3 gables above, full-height canted bay to left with 3-light mullioned and transomed window and arcaded parapet, and gabled wing to right with buttresses flanking large 5-light mullioned and transomed window and 3-light attic window. Rear: high stone plinth with cyma-recta moulded top, plat band, pilaster strips with chamfered rustication, moulded cornice, raised and fielded panelled pilaster strips to attic with moulded cornice, and coped parapet ramped up to centre with square-section balustrading above windows; C18 square-section lead downpipes between second and third and seventh and eighth bays with moulded rainwater heads. 2:1:3:1:2 bays, set-back to centre; early and late C18 glazing bar sashes (some replaced by C19 two-light wooden casements) with gauged brick heads, projecting keystones, moulded stone cills and moulded brick aprons; central first-floor window with moulded architrave, small flanking volutes, frieze, and continuous cornice breaking forward in centre; central attic window with lugged architrave triple keystone, frieze, and continuous cornice breaking forward at ends; former central doorway (now sash) with moulded architrave, and doorcase consisting of oddly proportioned fluted Doric pilasters with short sections of entablature above, frieze with paterae, and segmental pediment with broken back centre (external staircase missing). 2-bay return frontswith panelled parapets. Interior: mainly early C18 and early C19; entrance hall with C18 marble floor, C18 bolection moulded panelling, early C19 Tudor Gothic stone fireplace with flanking arches through to rest of house; dining room with C18 bolection-moulded panelling and fluted pilasters, and C18 chimney-piece by Thomas Farnolls Pritchard with lugged architrave, carved foliage decoration, frieze with swags, and dentil cornice; drawing room with C18 raised and fielded panelling and pilasters; large drawing room with late C18 fireplace consisting of columns with acanthus capitals, bucrania, husk garlands and cornice, and C19 panelled ceiling with carved bosses and openwork frieze; dog-leg staircase with closed string, turned balusters, moulded handrail, panelled square newel posts, and wainscot panelling; theatre in 1873 wing with chamfered stone arches, chamfered-arched stone fireplace, west gallery, and panelling; chimney-piece by Thomas Farnolls Pritchard in first-floor front room [removed at time of survey (June 1985) for restoration work after a fire]. Loton Park is the Leighton family home. Robert Mylne (1733-1811) made alterations for Sir Charlton Leighton, Bart. in 1773-4, but no evidence for them survives; E. Haycock (1790-1870) of Shrewsbury made alterations for Sir Balwin Leighton Bart. in 1819 (drawings at the house). Thomas Jones carried out alterations for Sir Baldwin Leighton in 1830 and 1838,which probably included the addition of the south gables to the C17 block and the porch (drawings at the house). V.C.H., Vol. VIII, pp.199-200; B.O.E., p.175; Burke's and Savills Guide to Country Houses, Vol. II, Hereford, Shropshire, Warwicks and Worcester, Ed. Peter Reid, Burkes Peerage (1980); Colvin, pp.624, 405-7, 476 and 576.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.