You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 261364  

Print Page



© Mr Brian Haigh

IoE Number: 261364
Location: HENDFORD MANOR, HENDFORD
  YEOVIL, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Brian Haigh
Date Photographed: 21 September 1999
Date listed: 08 September 1970
Date of last amendment: 08 September 1970
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST5515BNWYEOVIL CPHENDFORD (East side)7/28Hendford Manor8.9.70

ST5515BNW YEOVIL CP HENDFORD (East side) 7/28 Hendford Manor 8.9.70 GV II* Large town house converted to offices of c1720 with later alterations to left-hand and right-hand (projecting). (Vacant Jan. 1983). Ham stone ashlar with Welsh slate roof between coped gables, chimney stacks removed. 2-storeys with attic and basement of 7 bays: the main West facade has plinth (with four 2-light basement windows now blocked, rusticated quoins, band cill courses and moulded string at first floor level. Central 8-panel front door (up 5 steps) with projecting porch of c1900 design, using pairs of freely interpreted Corinthian columns on high plinths carrying open segmental pediment, with bulls-eye window under: parapet crowned with 2 urns: ground floor windows simple cruiform wooden casements with leaded lights set in plain architraves; first floor has seven 16-pane sashes with medium glazing bars, in simple architraves: dentilled cornice above, with the piers only remaining of a (presumed) balustrade. 3-dormer windows with segmental lead covered roofs to alternate bays-having 16-pane casements. To right-hand a matching extension of full height but apparently only single storey with basement possibly c1860, with hipped Welsh slate roof. No windows to sides, but to front a blocked basement window and a large triple window in quasi-Venetian pattern, with triangular pediment. To left- hand a plainer 2-storey extension, of uncertain date of local stone cut and squared, with Welsh slate hipped roof having 3-bays of 3-light windows in simple raised architraved and mullioned surrounds; barred windows: to the right a simple doorway with flat stone hood. Interior not inspected. Built by Hooper family c1750 (Solicitors): enlarged by Edwin Newman in 1840, purchased by Yeovil Borough Council 1938.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.