You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 261593  

Print Page



© Mrs Sue Durant LRPS

IoE Number: 261593
Location: SEXEY'S HOSPITAL EAST WING AND GATEWAY LINK TO WEST, HIGH STREET (south side)
  BRUTON, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mrs Sue Durant LRPS
Date Photographed: 22 April 2003
Date listed: 24 March 1961
Date of last amendment: 24 March 1961
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST6834NWBRUTON CPHIGH STREET (South side)8/119Sexey's Hospital: East Wing andgateway link to West

ST6834NW BRUTON CP HIGH STREET (South side) 8/119 Sexey's Hospital: East Wing and gateway link to West 24.3.61 GV II Almshouse. Early C19, extended in 1882. Local stone cut and squared with Doulting stone dressings; Welsh slate roof behind parapets and coped gables; stone chimney stacks with moulded caps. In plain Gothic style; 'U'-plan, mostly 3 storeys; street facade of 2 storeys, 11 bays, of which bay 11 is slightly projecting and gabled. Plinth, eaves course, plain parapet; hollow chamfered mullioned windows with cusped head single or 2-lights under continuous stepped label; door set in moulded cambered arch bay 3, 4-light window over lower bays 4 and 5, projecting chimney stack between bays 8 and 9; windows to bay 11 deeper, with individual labels, with 2-light pointed arch blind window and open quatrefoil panel in gable. Linking doorway to West, on street line, has moulded 4-centre arch under rectangular hood with carved foliage in spandrils. West facade, to main courtyard, 3 storeys, 7 bays, has mostly 2 cusped head light windows under separate labels; to second floor 4-centred arched similar 2-light windows without labels; cambered arched doorways to bays 4 and 6. South garden elevation of 3 storeys (bay 1 is 4 storeys) with 5 bays, all windows flat headed, mostly 2-light under labels but with two stepped 3-lights to bays 4 and 5. A rebuilding of part of the Hospital in the early C19; in 1882 it was extended Eastwards to accommodate a training school for domestic servants, now absorbed into almshouse. (Couzens P, Bruton in Selwood, Abbey Press, Sherborne, 1972).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.