You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 261663  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Green

IoE Number: 261663
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY, SILVER STREET (south east side)
  BRUTON, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Green
Date Photographed: 02 May 2007
Date listed: 24 March 1961
Date of last amendment: 24 March 1961
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRUTON CPSTATION ROAD (West side)ST6834NW8/175Church of St. Mary24.3.61GVI

BRUTON CP STATION ROAD (West side) ST6834NW 8/175 Church of St. Mary 24.3.61 GV I Parish Church. c1350 and later with chancel by Nathaniel Ireson of Wincanton, 1743; possibly on older foundations. Local stone cut and squared with Doulting stone dressings; shallow lead-covered roofs, but with Welsh slates to North tower. 6-cell plan, with 3-bay chancel; nave, North and South aisles of 5 bays each; Eastern extensions of 1 bay to aisles to form vestry and organ chamber; West entrance tower and also a North tower. Chancel has plinth, slim offset corner buttresses, open parapet with piers; no East window, but to North and South 2-light semi-circular arched windows with roundel over in plain pointed arch surround; blocked segmental arched recess on South side. North aisle of c1350; plinthed; angled corner and offset bay buttresses, crenellated parapet; 3-light pointed arch window with mid C15 tracery; South aisle and nave similar in character, all C15; parapets of openwork with pinnacles; in centre of South aisle low moulded pointed arch doorway having C16 door with central wicket gate. In centre of North aisle is the North Tower of c1350; 3-stages; no plinth, angled corner buttresses, string course, crenellated parapet, corner gargoyles; square stair turret on South West corner taller than tower itself; North doorway of two chamfered orders in pointed arch; to West low C16 window, and above C19 plain windows to all three sides; to stage 2 are a C19 2-light window in recess to North face; to stage 3 are C15 traceried 2-light windows under pointed arch, without labels, all faces. West Tower of 1445/46, in 4 stages; tall, with plinth, offset corner buttresses for most of height, ending in pinnacles, string courses, ornamented crenellated parapets with quatrefoils and decorated band below, gargoyle heads to sides; 4-centre moulded arch doorway to West under square label with foliage decoration to spandrils; immediately above a 6-light C15 style traceried window whose pointed arch breaks into next stage; stage 2 has 3 canopied statue niches, the centre set higher, on West; to North and South 2-light C15 traceried windows in recesses with labels and cill courses; stage-3 has similar windows all round, and set under West window is a clockface; 4th stage has sets of three 2-light mullioned and transomed windows as arcading, with dividing pinnacled pilasters. Interior has fine C18 plasterwork to chancel, with ornamental ribbed ceiling vault on Classical corbels, with bosses; fine 3-bay reredos with Corinthian pilasters, full entablature and pediment to centre bay, plaster swags and drops to panels; C18 altar rail and boxed choirstalls; screen in high 4-centre chancel arch to match, but dated 1938. Nave arcades have almost triangular 4-centre arches on slim 4-hollow piers, with wide but low clerestorey windows of between 1506 and 1523; roof of tie beam and king-post construction with traceried infill, of same date; aisle roofs to match. Blind C15 windows at East end of aisles, and remains of stairways to North aisle and nave rood lofts; similar traces in South side. Crypt under chancel of c1350. Among the fittings are a cinquefoil cusped piscina to South aisle wood pulpit of early C17 on stone base; C17 bench ends in Nave; a large possibly C13 chest with two lids, a Charles II hatchment board, and the 1620 chancel screen now fitted across the tower arch. Monuments include one to Sir Maurice Berkeley, died 1581, with recumbent effigies of himself and two wives in an Easter sepulchre-type recess with double round arched front, Corinthian pilasters and strapwork panels; to Captain the Hon. William Berkeley, died 1733, erected 1749, by P. Scheemakers, - a draped urn with flags on heavy plaque; another broken pedinented plaque with urn and base swags to William Berkely, died l741; also black marble monument with segmental pediment and bronze bust and decoration, possibly by Le Sueur, to William Godolphin, died 1636. In nave a much weathered chest tomb of early C15 with quatrefoil panels. (Couzens and Blake, A Guide to St. Marys, Bruton 1974; Couzens P, Bruton in Selwood, Abbey Press, Sherborne, 1972; Gunnis R, Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660- 1851, Abbey Library, 1951).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.