You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 261726  

Print Page



© Mrs Sue Durant LRPS

IoE Number: 261726
Location: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS,
  HOLTON, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mrs Sue Durant LRPS
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 24 March 1961
Date of last amendment: 24 March 1961
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST62NEHOLTON CP3/26Church of St Nicholas24.3.61

ST62NE HOLTON CP 3/26 Church of St Nicholas 24.3.61 GV II* Parish church. C14 and later. Local stone rubble with Cary stone ashlar dressings; Welsh slates with coped East gable to chancel and plain gables to North aisle, plain clay tiles with simple gable to nave. 3-cell plan with 2-bay chancel and 2-bay nave and North aisle, with South porch and West Tower and vestry extension to North aisle. Chancel plain, with almost round headed C16 style 3-light traceried East window, and 2-light window in flat topped recess in South wall, East of which is an ogee arched doorway. North aisle has 2-light flat head window in East wall and a pair of C19 2- light traceried pointed windows with labels in North wall, divided off by full height offset buttresses. Nave has similar windows to South wall; between which is the porch with coped gable crowned with block type sundial; moulded arch of near semi-circular form, with plain chamfered pointed inner arch. Tower simple, probably C14, in 2 stages; plinth, diagonal buttresses with offsets to most of lower stage, string courses, the upper with corner gargoyles, crenellated parapet; small 2-light window with cusped heads under flat arch without label low in West wall; slit window to belfry window high in stage-1, South wall; North wall plain; stage-2 has a single 2-light traceried window without label to each face; snall lean-to against North side. Inside, the chancel mostly C19 in character, with pseudo 3-centred arch to organ chamber in North wall; the wide chancel arch could be C14. The nave has a C15 style arcade into the North aisle, added in 1888, using panelled arches. Fittings include a plain tub type of font, possibly C12, and an octagonal plan pulpit front with panel tracery, probably C15. (Pevsner, N; Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.