You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 261736  

Print Page



© Mr Brian Roberts

IoE Number: 261736
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH HILL (east side)
  ABBAS AND TEMPLECOMBE, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Brian Roberts
Date Photographed: 06 June 2004
Date listed: 24 March 1961
Date of last amendment: 24 March 1961
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST7022ABBAS AND TEMPLECOMBE CPCHURCH HILL (East side)TEMPLECOMBE9/1Church of St. Mary

ST7022 ABBAS AND TEMPLECOMBE CP CHURCH HILL (East side) TEMPLECOMBE 9/1 Church of St. Mary 24.3.61 GV II* Parish Church. C12 and later, mostly rebuilt in C19. Local stone cut and squared with Ham stone ashlar dressings; plain clay tile roofs between stepped coped gables with finials. 6-cell plan, with 2-bay chancel, 4-bay nave, South transept, South tower incorporating porch, 4-bay North aisle and North East corner vestry. Chancel rebuilt c1874, has plinth, angled corner buttresses; 5-light late C14 style traceried pointed arched East window with head stop label, with smaller 2-light C15 style traceried window with similar label in South wall. South transept probably also rebuilt in 1874; angled corner buttress, with 3-light flat headed traceried window in East wall, and late C14 style geometric-curvilinear traceried 3-light window in South wall, both with head stop labels, with short buttress under South window. Nave has one 3-light flat headed traceried window in South wall, with buttresses alongside; in South wall a moulded 4-centre arched doorway with square label and square stops, plain spandrils and above a late C14 pattern 3-light traceried window. North aisle, added in 1834, has a 3-light traceried window under elliptical arch in recess, with label and headstop, in West wall; North wall has four 3-light flat headed C19 traceried windows in recesses, with square stop labels. Vestry added in 1893; chevet plan with hipped roof at East end, totally C19 in detail. Tower of 2 stages, C12 in character, with diagonal offset corner buttresses to stage 1, rough plinth, string courses with corner gargoyles to upper string, and battlemented parapets, central timber lead roofed turret; lower stage has, on South side, plain pointed arch to simple doors set in deep recess, and above a small cusped lancet without label; above in stage 2 a clockface and a 2-light pointed arched window, probably C19; in East side a 2-light flat headed window, and on West and North sides are 2-light C15 style windows without labels - all of these fitted with wood baffles. Inside, the porch has a tall inner arch of late C12/early C13. Chancel has late C19 elliptical board and rib barrel vault; an elliptical arch to the organ chamber and a C12 style chancel arch, both probably rebuilt; communion rail has barley-sugar twist balusters, probably tiff; retaining furniture C19, except the oak reredos, which is 1926. Nave has old waggon roof of curved ribs with boards over, probably C16, as probably is the elliptical arch into the South transept, which has a trefoil arched piscina; in the South west corner of nave sore oak pews, possibly Lib, and nearby a C12 font - lead lined square bowl with arcaded sides on circular shaft with 4 snail corner shafts, on a square base; font cover of 1897; also in this corner a painting of Christ's head, on boards, which could be C13 and thought to be connected with the Knights Templar, who held the manor; it was found hidden in the roof of a village outhouse in 1951. lfl,I. Clarke - Irons, A Short Record of Abbas and Templecombe, 1974).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.