You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 261743  

Print Page



© Mr Brian Roberts

IoE Number: 261743
Location: MANOR FARM HOUSE, HIGH STREET (east side)
  ABBAS AND TEMPLECOMBE, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Brian Roberts
Date Photographed: 06 June 2004
Date listed: 24 March 1961
Date of last amendment: 15 February 1985
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST7022ABBAS AND TEMPLECOMBE CPHIGH STREET (East side)TEMPLECOMBE9/8Manor House(Formerly known as Manor Farm

ST7022 ABBAS AND TEMPLECOMBE CP HIGH STREET (East side) TEMPLECOMBE 9/8 Manor House (Formerly known as Manor Farm House) 24.3.61 II* House. C17 and later on medieval site. Local stone coursed rubble with ashlar dressings; shallow pitch hipped Welsh slate roof; brick chinney stacks. 'L'-plant 2 storeys, 4 bays to West facade, irregular fenestration. Ovolo mould mullioned window to upper bays 2,3 and 4, and below to bay 4 and between bays 2 and 3; that to lower bay 4 has hood mould; reserved chamfer mullioned windows of 2-lights to bay 1: between bays 3 and 4 a studded boarded door in heavy frame, with C20 stone porch under flat moulded hood. Projecting stair turret on East side, with plain doorway and various ovolo mould mullioned windows. Short return Southwards to match, then a long non-domestic wing which may incorporate medieval fragments, although windows are mostly modern; one ovolo mould window and a moulded door surround may be reused. Interior not seen, but a comprehensive report speaks of traces of a spiral staircase in the North West corner of the main house; a fairly rare reserve chamfer moulded fireplace (possibly reset) in the South West corner, with 4-centre arched stone lintol; rear staircase may be C17, sundry beans with various mouldings and a variety of doors and door frames; and to the rear extension probably C17 collar roof trusses. Site held as a preceptory by the Knights Templars until 1300, from then until 1540 it was owned by the Knights Hospitallers; after that various lay owners modified it, especially Charles Brooke before he died in 1610. The remains of a chapel of c1200 survived until c1980 just East of the return wing (VAG Report, SRO unpublished, July 1983; D.M. Clarke-Irons, A Short Record of Abbas and Templecombe, 1974).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.