You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 261789  

Print Page



© Mr John Barker

IoE Number: 261789
Location: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW,
  CORTON DENHAM, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr John Barker
Date Photographed: 24 September 2003
Date listed: 15 February 1985
Date of last amendment: 15 February 1985
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST62SWCORTON DENHAM CP1/53Church of St Andrew

ST62SW CORTON DENHAM CP 1/53 Church of St Andrew GV II Parish church. Rebuilt 1869-70 to design of Charles Barker-Green for Rev W.B Portman and patron Lord Portman. Ham stone ashlar; plain clay tile roofs mostly between coped gables, but with hipped chevet to East end. Mostly in an early C15 style. 3-cell plan with additions; 1.5 bay chancel, 4 bays nave and North aisle, with North East vestry, South porch and West tower. Chancel cut into hillside; plinth, offset buttreses to each chamfered angle, panelled parapet; ornamental clay tile ridge and wrot iron cross finial; cusped single lancet windows with arched headstops to North East and South East chamfers, 2-light early C15 traceried style windows with labels to North, East and South faces of chevet, similar 2-light window and bay buttresses to nave, which has a plain eaves band course; South porch to bay 2 has simple hollow moulded pointed arch. North East vestry has cusped lancet East window and simple North door; North aisle has small cusped lancets with pointed arched labels with headstops between offset bay buttresses, a 2-light West window and a simple West door. The tower in 3 stages, with plinth, diagonal offset corner buttrusses two stages high, string courses, battlemented parapet with corner finials; octagonal plain full height stair turret to North East corner, taller than tower, with an outer door at base; West door, up 2 steps, in pointed arched opening under square stopped label, with quatrefoils in spandrils; above a 3-light C15 style window-other faces plain this stage: to stage 2 two-light transomed C15 pointed arched windows to North, West and South faces; similar windows without transomes to all faces of stage 3, these fitted with pierced stone baffles. Interior has unplastered ashlar throughout; panelled vaulted timber roof to chancel, hollowed wide chancel arch, simply detailed furniture: nave has arched rib ceiling and C15 style arcade, panelled tower arch. Octagonal stone pulpit with richly carved panels, and matching small octagonal font with black marble shafts to corners: some painted and stencil decoration about the church: detailing generally good. First rector known in 1267, former church was smaller, at least C15 with C18 modifications (Photographs and other information in church).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.